Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Have Two Shop Vacs? What about the Fein Turbo I?

Anyone Have Two Shop Vacs? What about the Fein Turbo I?

I'm happy with my large, 25 year old Craftsman shop vac and hope it continues to run for 25 more years. Its great for sucking up massive amounts of dust and dirt, but its not really designed to connect to portable power tools. I really want to get high quality vac with auto-start for that job. It'll be mostly sucking up very fine sawdust from the orbital sander, spindle sander, or 4" belt sander. I'm looking at the Fein Turbo I and wonder if the ~5 gallon capacity will be a hinderance. I like the idea of using a replaceable felt bag instead of replacing the filter.
    Dennis

I’ve used a Fein I for years without any problems. Love the flat top so I could mount a small Dust Deputy on top and never worry about bags.
    The auto start feature works great and runs a few seconds after trigger release. Noise is in the acceptable range.
    Last edited by Bernie Kopfer; 04-29-2021 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Kopfer View Post
    I’ve used a Fein I for years without any problems. Love the flat top so I could mount a small Dust Deputy on top and never worry about bags.
    The auto start feature works great and runs a few seconds after trigger release. Noise is in the acceptable range.
    Thanks, what capacity is your vac?
    Dennis

I have a Festool CT26 and just bought the smaller CT15 on the recon site. I also have a smaller Ridgid Vac in my miter saw cabinet with a homemade dust separator. Between my CTs and the Super Dust Deputy attached to my Grizzly 2HP dust collector, the dust in my shop is minimal and its just a better working environment. I think its essential to get a Hepa rated vac with power tool port and adjustable suction at minimum if you sand, use routers, etc. Doesn't have to be Festool. But, the HEPA rating is critical as even if you buy a HEPA filter for your vac, the vacuum most likely will leak around the filter at other points.

I've had two Fein vacs over the years and both were great. The first from 20+ years ago finally had to be replaced due to motor failure after a lot of work. The new one has been going for a year now and seems just as good. Both were very quiet, both had great suction.

The new one, a Turbo I with 5.8 gallon canister, has the same specs as the larger 8.4 gallon capacity Turbo II model, the difference is just the smaller canister. Both models operate at 66dB noise level, 151 CFM flow rate, 98.4 inches water lift, and 1100 watt motor. I got the smaller canister because I run it with a small cyclone and dust pail so don't need the capacity.

Blog Entries
    I have a Fein Turbo II and it has all the features you are looking for. It uses a replaceable filter bag. It is extremely quiet and does not use the suction air for motor cooling.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I recently sold my Bosch 9 gal vac which worked ok and replaced it with a used CT-26 (6.8 gal). The blue tooth switch option on the Festool is pretty awesome. I think it all depends on what tools you plan to use. Obviously routers will fill the bags up faster with chips than a track saw will with saw dust. I had good luck with both sizes and never found that I needed more capacity. To get the full capability I would definitely use the internal filter bags. They really don't cost all that much more. You'll like the upgrade either way. Both models of dust extractors were much quieter than my Ridgid shop vac.

I’ve got an oldish rigid shop vac and a CT26 as well. The rigid has a cobbled bucket separator and gets used for general clean up and the smaller port tools and fences. It will accept the original rigid or festool hose. I picked up the ct mostly for the festool sanders but I’m finding the auto on feature very convenient for all the smaller hand held tools.
    I just don’t like changing vac bags so if I have a lot of track saw cuts, dominos or routing I still use the rigid. I’m cheap and the FT bags are a little pricey when I have to factor in shipping cost.

2 shop vacs are a great idea. I have had a Porter Cable tool-triggered machine for over 15 years and it works great, although I sometimes have to resort to duct tape to make a connection to the tool.
    I recently got the Festool CT15 mainly for its variable suction capacity. Nice having options.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Fish View Post
    I’ve got an oldish rigid shop vac and a CT26 as well.
    I just don’t like changing vac bags so if I have a lot of track saw cuts, dominos or routing I still use the rigid. I’m cheap and the FT bags are a little pricey when I have to factor in shipping cost.
    I've been using these with my CT26, about half the price of the OEM.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

I have several Fein and Festool vacs. The Festools, imo, are better engineered with more thoughtful design, Both strike me as similar quality.

Thanks Chris! That’s about a 60% discount for me

I have a Festool CT for small tool extraction and a Ridgid "shop vac" for cleanup type work. I actually have two identical of the latter because I brought the one my father owned north after he passed away a few years ago and in my current shop, it lives upstairs where I break down boards from storage for general cleanup purposes. That one will eventually live in the garage here in the new property when the other two get to move into a new building...someday.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hi I am Todd and I have a shop vacuum problem.

I 3--well actually 4 if you count the one I keep up at the house.

I had one for general shop duties and using with some small power tools.

Then, last year I bought a Festool sander and decided, in for a penny, in for a pound and bought a CT26.

Then, in my pursuit of better dust collection, I read how it is common to have a dedicate shop vacuum for the smaller over arm DC on the sawstop. So, now I have third shop vacuum in my shop, just for the overarm collection.

This is all in addition to the central DC system I use.

BTW, I am hobbyist who has not actually had a chance to use any of the tools in my shop for woodworking in 6 weeks dur to work, family, etc.

Well, I guess that answers that question! I appreciate the feedback — it gives me different ideas about how to go about collecting dust. Right now I wear a mask when using the shop vac. It’d be nice to ditch that and get the auto start feature. The fein is powerful enough to handle a small seperator?