Thread: Lie Nielsen Honing Guide - i.e. Confusion Generator

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lie Nielsen Honing Guide - i.e. Confusion Generator

The Lie Nielsen Honing Guide with the standard jaws appears to have two levels/places in which to insert the blade for honing.

The lower level has straight sided jaws and placing a blade there it will rest on the guide's two rods. This blade location is very simple to register.
    There'a higher level with angles cut outs that seems made for bevel edge chisels. This location is a little trickier to register a thick straight sided plane blade like a Veritas bevel up blade).

I've only sharpened the Veritas bevel up jointer once. Lie Nielsen's Honing Guide instructions make no mention which position to insert the blade in the guide. My first instinct is to use the upper position with the angled cutouts, however the lower position is easier to quickly register the thick Veritas blade.

I'm using a protrusion angle setting jig built according to Lie Nielsen's plans.
    It now occurs to me that placing the blade in either the upper or lower positions in the guide is going to alter the bevel angle of the blade edge against the stone? Further, the distance/angle measurements for constructing the protrusion jig according to their plans fair to specify which Guide blade position the jig the angle measurements are intended for.

Further, I now cannot remember which position in the Honing Guide I placed the jointer blade when I previously sharpened it.

I had figured the flat lapped Veritas blade and the precision Lie Nielsen Honing Guide would finally make sharpening less onerous, simpler, and repeatable. It now feels like I have no way to repeat the angles I used previously ... it's no more accurate than flipping a coin on which angle to use. I don't want to reinvent the wheel.

----

Reviewing my notes on the angle to sharpen this jointer plane blade, Lie Nielsen's written sharpening instruction sheet
    recommends sharpening 25 degree plane blades to a 35 degree micro bevel.

"Note: The 35° angle will result in a 10° ‘microbevel’ or secondary bevel. This secondary bevel concentrates all of your sharpening energy on the very edge of the blade—this is the only part of the blade that needs honing, because it is the only part of the blade that does the work. "

However in Lie Nielsen's plane sharpening video the secondary angle is given at 30° (ever hear of consistency in messaging and instructions?!).

---------------------

Regarding the Veritas Bevel Up Jointer Plane blade : what angle secondary bevel is typically recommended? (Btw, I'll be using the ruler trick):
    35°
    30°
    27° (i.e. use the 25° position on the protrusion jig and add the shim for a final angle of 27°)

Thanks a bunch for any input!
    Last edited by Ned Mcbee; 04-26-2021 at 7:27 PM.