I don't know much about hydrogen cars, you don't see many around here right now. But it seems like they'd offer advantages which would avoid most of the complaints about current battery electric cars.

I have noticed that the sanctioning body for Formula-1 has an all electric series, Formula-E, running right now. Traditionally motorsports has fostered automobile technology development. So battery cars will likely be different beasts in 5, 10, and 20 years.

OTOH- the body that sanctions Le Mans is working on a hydrogen electric series. The announcers were talking about the demo and plans they'd shared with the public earlier in the week during the race. They ran a "last-generation" prototype around the course at "competitive" speeds. (Competitive with the prototypes, the current gasoline-electric hybrid cars.) They said the next generation they're working on will be faster. They also said they're working on a hydrogen based series, which will require only roads and water as local resources. Their goal is to show up with extra containers which unload / unfold in to a solar array and hydrogen generating facility to fuel the cars.

That reporting got one of the announcers reminiscing about a demo day he'd attended earlier in the year outside of London. He mentioned 4 to 5+ manufacturers participating. He got to drive a Hyundai sedan and said, other than missing the growl of a big V-8, it drove as well as any street car he'd ever driven. His drive included stopping at a "gas station" along his route (M-40? I don't remember or know London roads.) and having the refill go pretty much the way gasoline or diesel fuel goes.

I'd speculate we might eventually see cheaper battery cars to run errands and get around town and more expensive hydrogen cars for cross country and heavy duty vehicles. But that's just speculation.