Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Build Thread for Curved Drawer Fronts with Veneer and Cock Beading

I'm afraid that once you give a gift, it's given.

It's a beautiful piece - you did excellent work on it.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 04-29-2021 at 4:17 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Mike - Learning new skill is, as you say, pretty cool. Just figuring out new ways to do things is fun too.

As for the box, all I can say is that as I get older I suffer fools less and less, and anyone that wouldn't hire you is definitely a fool. I am already to this point:

2021-04-21_21h24_32.jpg While Sherrie (like the LOML Julie) is probably way smarter than either of us, what the hell, see what happens.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Mike, sorry the job didn’t get offered. I must be honest and say I think it’s a pretty poor reflection on the company that they didn’t immediately return it. It’s not like you gave them some simple tchotchke to emphasize your commitment.
    Shame on them.

Somebody will surly have a smile on their face for years to come. Nice work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Allen1010 View Post
    Ironically I ended up giving this piece away and I don’t feel good about it😧. I went through a series of four interviews for a job I really wanted and at the final interview I gave board members this box as a demonstration of my commitment to “building” the company. I know that’s super cheesy but I’m getting up there in years and I thought this kind of gesture might be helpful.

Turns out not so much -Didn’t get the job – I’m bummed! I know it’s completely juvenile and petty , but gotta confess I kinda want to ask for it back. Sherrie says absolutely not, but I’m kinda pissed. I invested a lot of time and effort in the interview process and at this point,, I’m not so concerned if they think less of me. I know that’s not rational just emotional.

What should I do? I appreciate suggestions from my fellow creekers . Thanks in advance for your feedback.
    Mike, I know you must be really disappointed at missing out on the job, and hurt that they ended up appearing insensitive. But look at it this way .. you left something which will draw attention and this will recall your name each time. Something may come up in the future, and they may call you. Or the occasion will be retold to other hiring executives. What goes around comes around.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Thanks Guys, I appreciate your thoughtful advice and suggestions. I know I can count on my fellow Creekers for time tested insight born of hard won experience.

I definitely over reacted - perhaps in part because I wasn’t looking. They contacted me out of the blue. Nevertheless this experience is in the rear view and shan’t be mentioned again.

Cheers, Mike

Blog Entries
    Not too far from us is a store that buys and sells such items. In the Portland airport there is a shop that surprised the heck out of my at seeing how much people pay for small chests like this.

You may have such an outlet for your beautiful work in your area. The good part of it will be a way to keep at your craft and you may be able to create income so as to not need that other job.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 05-02-2021 at 3:03 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Mike, thank for sharing, you do beautiful work. I had to chuckle about the boss commanding no more large pieces of furniture, it sounds familiar.

That stinks! Most reputable companies would have told you that they could never accept that gift - it would look too much like a bribe or kickback to get the job. If they had hired you anyways ... you might have found that you really didn't want to be working there after all. For them to take it, not give you the job, and not give it back, you REALLY don't want to be working there. Horrible way to learn, but possibly blessing in disguise.