Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mortiser advise

Just to follow up on Robert's comment on the Domino, I suffer the same issue with my Domino 500. I register off the flat base of the Domino on the cast iron top of my Sawstop. I don't know what I do wrong, but I don't quite get the joint I expect, it's close, but not the level of quality I expect.

The Pantorouter is spot on.

lamello the same. Even bought a new one just in case. Then the biscuits they are a whole other story.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    Just to follow up on Robert's comment on the Domino, I suffer the same issue with my Domino 500. I register off the flat base of the Domino on the cast iron top of my Sawstop. I don't know what I do wrong, but I don't quite get the joint I expect, it's close, but not the level of quality I expect.

I've never used a Domino, but with my biscuit joiner if the fence is square to the cutter and you reference off a common work face (not the bench) the joint is flush, never off more than a couple of thousandths. I don't see why it would be any different with the Domino. And if anyone has one they just hate feel free to send it my way. I'll evaluate it for a few years and let you know how it works for me.

Not being able to afford a Multirouter I built a horizontal router mortiser. It makes a whole bunch of joints with about as perfect registration as you could ask for, fast and easy.

John l

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post

I wonder what symptoms those having difficulties with the Domino are witnessing? Horizontal misalignment? Vertical misalignment? One piece twisted relative to the other? Joints not closing completely? When I started using my DF700 I had occasional problems with joints not closing up as they should. The problem was failing to plunge perpendicular to the joint face. I learned not to hold the handle while plunging but rather to wrap my hand behind and under the back end of the Domino, better supporting its weight.

Blog Entries
    I have a Maka and a DM (hollow chisel) and rip through very accurate mortises with both.

Sharp chisels, and dialing the machines in both pay dividends. I’ve yet to have a student use either of these two machines and then say ‘you really need to buy a domino’, not once. Normally after cutting a couple mortises I see an elated face and the response is ‘wow, this is awesome!’.

The newer machines are just not the same (except the DMV and a few rare others) get some old iron.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by James Morgan View Post
    I wonder what symptoms those having difficulties with the Domino are witnessing? Horizontal misalignment? Vertical misalignment? One piece twisted relative to the other? Joints not closing completely? When I started using my DF700 I had occasional problems with joints not closing up as they should. The problem was failing to plunge perpendicular to the joint face. I learned not to hold the handle while plunging but rather to wrap my hand behind and under the back end of the Domino, better supporting its weight.
    I found the same thing with mine too. It is surprising how little a lack of concentration it takes to mess up the "squareness". Once I got the hang of it, it has been fine.

Maka is a great machine. Especially since it doesn't use the hollow chisels which are easily broken. I don't think it will
    make a small square mortise,but unless you want to make window sash ,you might not ever need square holes.

What exactly are you looking for and why? You want the best hollow chisel mortiser, or you want the best mortiser?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Sebek View Post
    Hey everyone,
    I am beginning my investigation into which hollow chisel mortiser to purchase. I would love you advise. I enjoy buying tools once, when I can. I have seen several people use the Powermatic version, but want to see what other ideas there are out there. Thank you so much!

Todd

I use a PM mortiser and cut my tenons by hand. I'm glad I have it.

I have heard good things here about slot mortisers, and there's also a couple guys (like John TenEyck) who have built router-based mortisers.

Here's a recent thread. LINK TenEyck's is mentioned in post #8.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    These are all awesome insights. I have chopped plenty of through mortises, through all the waste removal techniques that save time, and just don’t get fired up to do them. I recently finished a small kitchen table with through tenons in the legs, and it was one of those moments where I said, “Man, a machine for this would be awesome!” The legs were 4” thick, and my mortise chisel skills could use improvement, but I also like maximizing my time in the shop. I am hunting for a domino all the time, and I will certainly be adding one to the equipment list. I’m just wondering if a hollow chisel mortiser is a good/great addition to buy if I see a good one come up.

I have a Powermatic PM701, a Domino and a Pantorouter. Most of the time I use the Pantorouter followed closely by the Domino. I use the HCM maybe once a year.

Blog Entries
    Those with a PM that are moving on to other mortisers, doesn’t surprise me at all but it’s not the format that’s the issue it’s that particular machine. It’s nowhere near heavy enough.

Look at the size of the column compared to older machines, these machines are made this way not by accident or to excess, they are made that way for a reason that column strength makes this task easier and more accurate.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 04-27-2021 at 8:26 AM.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Those with a PM that are moving on to other mortisers, doesn’t surprise me at all but it’s not the format that’s the issue it’s that particular machine. It’s nice where near heavy enough.

Look at the size of the column compared to older machines, these machines are made this way not by accident or to excess, they are made that way for a reason that column strength makes this task easier and more accurate.
    Yes, my big Wadkin chain/chisel is so nice and easy to use, I can't imagine moving to a screaming dust monster, router based system, however they do take up a lot of space and the Pantarouter does look pretty versatile for short mortises.
    Last edited by brent stanley; 04-27-2021 at 8:17 AM.

I've had good luck with the PM 719T for through tenons. You'll spend no time creating accurate mortises, if you spend some time keeping the chisels sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Sebek View Post
    These are all awesome insights. I have chopped plenty of through mortises, through all the waste removal techniques that save time, and just don’t get fired up to do them. I recently finished a small kitchen table with through tenons in the legs, and it was one of those moments where I said, “Man, a machine for this would be awesome!” The legs were 4” thick, and my mortise chisel skills could use improvement, but I also like maximizing my time in the shop. I am hunting for a domino all the time, and I will certainly be adding one to the equipment list. I’m just wondering if a hollow chisel mortiser is a good/great addition to buy if I see a good one come up.
    I won't use the 719T that often but without it I'd have to think up other ways of doing things in those infrequent situations where I need it. Like my square for drawing a line in a center of a circle that sits in my toolbox 99% of the time. The 719T was not a priority to buy, but when a mint used unit popped up for sale locally at a substantial discount I snagged it.