Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mortiser advise

Every one of these "which morticer" threads gets response from folks suggesting to use a pantorouter. And every time I use the all-powerful Google to see just what the hell a pantorouter is, and where I might buy one, but all I get are DIY plans for making one out of wood or CNC parts. Can someone educate me on these devices?

https://pantorouter.com

Not cheap, but neither was my Domino 500 or PM719T.

The PM719T is the best option if you don't want to force a square peg into a round hole

I have the Norm Abram style Delta bench top hollow chisel mortiser. The only knock I have against that specific model is that the fence didn't clamp to the table and the chuck key was an oddball style and nearly impossible to replace. I ended up using a different fence that clamped to the table. Other than that it has worked well for its intended use, and something like it would be just fine for a hobbyist or light pro use. A lot of the arguments here seem to be from people that do production mortising, and I could see better tools for that.

It looks like the current Grizzly and Powermatic bench tops with the dovetailed columns have solved the fence problem with lockdowns to the table and look like they use more normal chuck keys. If my current mortiser died, I would likely replace it with the Grizzly. I do have a nice router mortise jig, but I like the hollow chisel better for some things.

Well I stand corrected. I have not tried every mortising tool. An oscillating chisel mortiser sounds extremely cool. I looked at some old ones online and they seem like about 3000 lb monsters that can really cut a mortise.

I could be wrong, but I'm guessing the OP asking whether he should consider a bench top or floor model hollow chisel mortiser from Woodcraft isn't really in the market for a multi thousand dollar, multi thousand pound industrial mortiser to refurbish. We can all dream though.... Kind of like the answer to the question "2020 Toyota Corolla or Camry" being "import and refurbish a right hand drive 1985 Land Rover Defender."

But still - would love to see and hear more about your Maka! Any pics? Sounds like the bomb.
    Richard Link

Yeah, Gotta be careful saying stuff like that.

There are about a dozen or more companies that make swing chisel mortisers;
    Maka, Lari & Lari, Centauro, Sautereau, Muti, Framar, Griggio, Steton, Marzani, Masterwood, Mesa, Mutltifil, Haffner, Holz-Her, from little benchtop models up to 14' floor models with 6 or more heads on them, they are also made with complete CNC controls with combination swing chisel, slot routers and hollow chisel heads.

There are also automatic slot mortisers, Like Balestrini, Bacci, Rye, Pade, Greda, Cantek, North State etc.

Then there is the Alternax by Parveau A unique machine that uses three chisels to make a mortise.

Lots of choices when it comes to mortising, Not everyone is aware of what's out there so they don't know what to ask for. They tend to ask for information on the only things that they are aware of, So should i choose Powermatic or Grizzly, doesn't really give you much.
    Explaining what your goals and budget are might give you a lot more information.

Little Baby Maka;

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Link View Post
    Well I stand corrected. I have not tried every mortising tool. An oscillating chisel mortiser sounds extremely cool. I looked at some old ones online and they seem like about 3000 lb monsters that can really cut a mortise.

I could be wrong, but I'm guessing the OP asking whether he should consider a bench top or floor model hollow chisel mortiser from Woodcraft isn't really in the market for a multi thousand dollar, multi thousand pound industrial mortiser to refurbish. We can all dream though.... Kind of like the answer to the question "2020 Toyota Corolla or Camry" being "import and refurbish a right hand drive 1985 Land Rover Defender."

But still - would love to see and hear more about your Maka! Any pics? Sounds like the bomb.

This is an automatic one. A small machine like the benchtop, only a floor model with automatic feed.

This is an Alternax;

A video of the Alternax cutting.

A Balestrini twin table slot mortiser.

Little Maka Chisels and mortises.

A wide variety of chisels, Single, double, haunched, and multiprofile.
    Keep in mind this is the small machine.
    Cuts up to 4" deep.

SAM_6067.jpgSAM_6069.jpg SAM_6096.jpg

Double mortise sets, First photo below is a window set, right and left handed.
    Secod phot are double mortise sets,

SAM_6091.jpg SAM_6092.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    https://pantorouter.com

Not cheap, but neither was my Domino 500 or PM719T.
    Thanks! Looks pretty cool. Hmmmm......but do I "need" one......I am a tool junkie, so probably not, but.....I am a tool junkie.

I'll mention that if you ever entertained the possibility of getting one of those fancy euro jointer/planers: they often come with the option of a slot mortiser. It really doesn't increase the footprint of the machine all that much, and its cost is in line with something like the Leigh FMT. When I purchased my J/P, I did not go with the mortiser, having never used one, and at the time I had no idea how useful they can be. After adding the slot mortising attachment, I became a convert.

I still have my Jet benchtop hollow chisel mortiser but I have not used it since getting a Domino XL. I make a variety of things including beds and an occasional door and did not want to be limited to 1 inch deep mortises like the smaller domino makes. I do not find the 2 3/4 inch mortises of the XL to be limiting. Advantages include:

1) no need to cut tenons. I have my tenoning jig for the table saw and my shoulder plane but I can cut tenons out of scrap and round the edges much quicker and easier than I can make traditional tenons. I do not have to worry about the fit of the shoulder.

2) Takes up a LOT less space. My shop is 14x24 and space is thus at a premium. The domino gets stored on my outfeed/assembly bench within easy reach.

3) Doesn't make a mess. You have to hook it up to dust collection, I use a Rigid shop vac with a dust deputy, a quasi hepa filter, and a bosch 5 meter hose. Works well.

4) Nothing to sharpen or maintain. I don't like sharpening and for a hollow chisel mortiser to work well the bits must be sharp. I haven't worn out a domino bit yet but when one stops cutting well I will just buy another (from Amana or CMT, not Festool).

5) Easy quick accuracy. My hollow chisel is not a nice floor standing model with an indexing and clamping table but I find it much easier to make accurate mortises with my domino.

6) You can make mortises in nearly anything. Like the sides of cabinets, for instance.

7) Practically no limits on the size of mortises. For a bed, rather than use multiple small tenons I prefer to plunge several times and use the same size tenon I would with a hollow chisel mortiser. I have to make the tenon but that is what I do anyway. If you need a tenon wider than 14mm you can just do multiple plunges for the width too. As I said earlier I do not think 2 3/4 inch depth is much of a limitation.

8) More versatility in mortise size. You can get little 4mm bits for dominos. The smallest I have is 5mm. They won't make deep mortises but these little bits are handy for making drawers and for gluing up thinner panels. Might be handy for a more normal mortise and tenon joint in smaller stock. I've never seen a hollow chisel bit smaller than 1/4 inch.

I need to sell my hollow chisel mortiser, there is no chance I'll use it again.

You are about to be marooned on a desert island that has (amazingly) 120v power and a single outlet. You can bring one tool. It sure isn’t going to be a hollow chisel mortiser. (Says the guy who currently owns two for no reason).