Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Mortiser advise

Like most anything with woodworking there's multiple ways of making a M&T joint. I have a Grizzle floor mortiser. Not their top end one but the one that sells for about $1000 now (forget the model number). I got it because I wanted to do traditional M&T joints but didn't want to do it by hand. The Grizzly mortiser is very Chinese and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I kept it and spent time making it work the way it should have out of the crate. Now that I have I can say that, for me, I'm much happier than if I had a Domino. I'm sure the Domino is a fine tool and if I had one I wouldn't sell it to get a HC mortiser but I know how I like to work. I would rather clamp a board and then turn a wheel to fine tune exactly where the mortise is going to go. If you have room I would try to find a used PM 719T. Several came up but were just too far away and I had a project that I had to finish (and with Covid) I couldn't wait. If interested I can get the model number of the Grizzly and give a detailed review of it.

As with anything, it depends on what you’ll be building, I guess. I’m very happy with a horizontal slot mortiser (Felder) and a domino XL. I’ve also used a template and router with an upcut spiral bit. But I (almost) never need a square ended mortise and work predominantly with slip tenons (1/2” and 3/4”) as opposed to integral tenons. I’ve found the only practical reason to have square ended mortises is for aesthetics in exposed joinery (for myself at least). But that doesn’t answer the question posed. Wish I could make a recommendation.
    Don't ask me how I know that!

I have the Powermatic and the Domino 500. 50-1 Domino is used over the PM. That being said, when large mortices are called for, either Mission style furniture or a very traditional passage door, I wouldn't be without my Powermatic. I find setup and accuracy a pleasure. I would buy the Powermatic again, but I can get pretty staunch on the traditional leanings, as furniture building is my first passion.

As for the Domino, it is used on almost every project in some way or another. Biscuit joiner almost never used anymore, due to accuracy of the Domino. Puzzled by other's assertions here regarding accuracy issues (other than the retractable indexing pins). Using the same one for about 10 years professionally, and accuracy still reliable. It is used for chair building, mitered cabinet doors - you name it. However, I would not build a passage door with it, nor do I have the larger XL version, so back to the Powermatic when heft, squareness are needed.

jeff

Mostly agree with Jeff. I have a Mortiser and both Dominos. Each has its place, although when I do glue ups out comes the Domino to make the edges straight - really cuts down on the hand planing on 115B9994-A80D-419A-AD07-387DCDF74758.jpg wide stuff and super useful on laminations (picture attached) Also use the 500 Domino and 5mm x 20mm tenons to connect slats on the side of mission stuff. When you need to make a large square hole, like he says, the mortiser is king. Oh, made a door with 14 mm Domino stuff - strong as can be