Thread: Where to get decent hardware?

Where to get decent hardware?

Greetings all -

I'm putting together some hinged boxes and plant to make a few more. Is there a source anywhere for decent hinges and such? It seems all I can find is imprecise hobby shop junk with thin plated leafs and tons of slop or Brusso (who I love, but the cost!!)

Is there anything in between? I can't be dropping $40 on a set of hinges.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Well, there's Horton Brasses....but they are in the Brusso price ballpark too. I've used some of the lower priced options from Lee Valley and found them decent.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

You could check out Small Box Hardware, and D. Lawless Hardware, and Van Dykes Restorers. But I feel your pain - I've never found anything in the middle, and I just spent 40 bucks for 2 hinges for a wedding box I'm making. More than the walnut and cherry in it. Ouch - certainly can't be a regular source for me.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

I've been happy with the hardware I've bought from Lee Valley.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Rockler has these on sale:

2021-04-25_15h09_44.jpg
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Can't go wrong with Brusso.

Good luck. Once you move beyond hinges and start to look for hardware for something like a steamer trunk most of the stuff is poorly plated steel which they usually call gold plated. I have bought quadrant hinges for small boxes from these guys. They are solid brass and not so thin that they feel like a toy. The screws were a little on the small size (#2) so I counter sunk the holes a little bigger (confirming that the hinges are brass) and used #3 brass screws.

The problem is that what really works well on a box is a stop hinge and Brusso makes the best. If you don't mind having a small chain on one side, you can use almost any cheap hinge.

I've been using Brusso, even though they're expensive. I tried some inexpensive stop hinges from Rockler but they made the box look cheap.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Woodcraft offers stop hinges which aren't bad. They're not Brusso quality, but they'd be $6 per box instead of $40. https://www.woodcraft.com/products/s...ted-96mm-x-7mm Woodcraft has them in other lengths.

A tip... On piano hinges, the leaf material is thin enough that the cone of a flat head screw hits wood before the screw snugs up against the wood. Countersink your pilot holes into the wood just a bit.

Horton Brass. It has been a while but the last time I bought Horton Brass it was cheater than the big box stores. They are a really great company, small and family owned.

Ball & Ball makes some lovely stuff as well. I've used Horton a lot. Nothing worse than a beautifully made piece with nasty or kitchen cabinet hardware.

With the amount of labor I put into a box spending $30-40 for hinges seems worth it. It would be a shame to have a beautiful, handmade box and not use the best hinges.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Barstow View Post
    With the amount of labor I put into a box spending $30-40 for hinges seems worth it. It would be a shame to have a beautiful, handmade box and not use the best hinges.
    I generally agree, unless it's a box made for pure utility. Second tier hardware is OK for those.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.