Thread: PM 3520c Headstock on 3520B bed

PM 3520c Headstock on 3520B bed

I have to Replace the motor and VFD / inverter on my 3520 B. I have procrastinated and now the VFD seems to not be available except for one place that wants $1200 for it. I知 not very electrically inclined and am nervous about putting a different VFD on my machine. The motor is going for $$700-$800. I will likely need to replace many other parts such as bearings and switches. My lathe was unfortunately under several free of seawater due to hurricane Harvey briefly. I was unable to get to it quickly and wash it out. I am wondering if the headstock on the 3520 C would work on my 3520B bed?
    I don稚 know what it might cost and if I can buy these complete units from anybody. Does anybody know if this would work or have any other advice for me? Thanks

oh and when I say headstock I mean the complete motor and drive system inside the cast iron. i知 pretty sure my existing headstock on 3520 B could not be retrofitted for 3520 C? Right?
    Gregg Feldstone

Replying To my own post with another question. Is the headstock on the 2020B the same as the 3520 B? It sure looks the same.
    Gregg Feldstone

Greg, do some google searching, you should be able to pick up a VFD way cheaper than that. Try Grizzly or Laguna and Delta Electronics.
    Rgds,
    Richard.

One of our club members in Lafayette inverter went out last fall , he had fixed in Baton Rouge. He contacted Powermatic for the recommendation . Louisiana Tool Repair 1-225-926-2220 Ask for Travis Bonfanti
    Last edited by Steve Nix; 04-25-2021 at 6:48 AM.

I had to replace headstock bearings on my 3520A, many years ago. Priced parts from PM, and also priced them locally. For what PM was charging, I found a tool repair place and an industrial supply place, Kaman, and was able to get it repaired, with parts, and a new drive belt, for less than PM wanted for just the parts. Any good tool repair place can do it. Though, for the PM, you may need a more 'industrial' tool repair place. The little fix it shops may not be able to handle it.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg Feldstone View Post
    I have to Replace the motor and VFD / inverter on my 3520 B. I have procrastinated and now the VFD seems to not be available except for one place that wants $1200 for it. I知 not very electrically inclined and am nervous about putting a different VFD on my machine. The motor is going for $$700-$800. I will likely need to replace many other parts such as bearings and switches. My lathe was unfortunately under several free of seawater due to hurricane Harvey briefly. I was unable to get to it quickly and wash it out. I am wondering if the headstock on the 3520 C would work on my 3520B bed?
    I don稚 know what it might cost and if I can buy these complete units from anybody. Does anybody know if this would work or have any other advice for me? Thanks

oh and when I say headstock I mean the complete motor and drive system inside the cast iron. i知 pretty sure my existing headstock on 3520 B could not be retrofitted for 3520 C? Right?
    Maybe you should call Powermatic?
    "Only a rich man can afford cheap tools, as he needs to buy them again and again"