Thread: Elm

Elm

I have moved this piece of elm around for over 10 years. Finally got around to coring it. The wine & bread are for scale.
    For the last ten or so years I thought it was maple. I sent a small piece off to be identified and it came back elm.
    853258AF-D809-4218-A6BC-EF24487EF04E.jpg 66DF2BD7-F570-4FBD-A365-5F7B4F0EAE2D.jpg

Beautifully done Kevin. I love with the wine and bread composition
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

I think elm is a much under appreciated wood for turning. I helped a guy cut up an elm tree and ended up with 20 or so nice burls and some 30 inch cross sections. I cut out the pith, sealed the end grain and will be turning it here in a couple of months. What I have once turned so far is beautiful wood.

Nice job Kevin. I would think you'd compliment the fine work yoju have done with a little better wine than "2 Buck Chuck"!!!!

A pretty set for sure. When I see a nested set like that it makes me want to get coring equipment. Looks like that piece has some eyes in it (eyes as in birdseye maple) -- I didn't know that occurred in elm.

Best,

Dave

Haha. I was just thinking the same thing about the $2 buck Chuck. Nice bowls though.

Thanks, for the kind words. I used the wine bottle to show the size of the bowl.
    I know everyone knows exactly the size of Two Buck Chuck.