Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: happy sad moment

happy sad moment

I was in the shop this morning dimensioning some walnut for a future project. Took out some bow and twist with my #5, flattened it up with my #7 and smoothed it out nicely with my #4.

All worked exceptionally well. Made me happy.

Then the sad moment when I realized that the planes I have work so well, there really is no need for more.

Say it ain't so!

I feel your pain. I've reached that point too.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Sometimes my feelings go into denial when a tempting plane crosses my path. There are maybe two planes not already in my accumulation of bench planes, a #10 & a #10-1/4. The #10-1/2 was one of my last acquisitions.

There's always chisels. Though in my case there aren't many of those not already at hand.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Clearly, you haven't discovered molding planes.

I am more happy than sad for you Phil. You have mastered the tools you need at the moment. Go forth and create with those tools. Warren would be proud of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I have. And I know what you mean Tom.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Not sure about Phil, my accumulation got started a few years ago:

Molding Planes on Shelf.jpg

Still looking for more.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

9. Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    I was in the shop this morning dimensioning some walnut for a future project. Took out some bow and twist with my #5, flattened it up with my #7 and smoothed it out nicely with my #4.

All worked exceptionally well. Made me happy.

Then the sad moment when I realized that the planes I have work so well, there really is no need for more.
    Thank you so much! I bought a Bailey #5 but didnt know what else to pair it with...problem solved!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregg Markowski View Post
    Thank you so much! I bought a Bailey #5 but didnt know what else to pair it with...problem solved!
    The #5 is one plane that might be worth having more than one or having extra blades for different set ups. If you work with rough sawn lumber it is good to have a blade with a heavy camber to use like a scrub plane. It can also be set up as a long smoother or short jointer

jtk

Well, Tom, I discovered a few. Bought a couple of rounds in various sizes thinking I’d do round overs or something. Turned them up as best I could, gave them a few runs, and put them in a drawer. They are certainly tempting, but to date, I’ve been successful resisting any more.

I admit my weak point is small block type planes. The LV miniature, the LN violin plane, a few finger planes. Just love using them on inlay work, shaping small parts, and a gentle chamfer from time to time.

Phil,

One more: "Say it ain't so Phil, Say it ain't so."

As others above have stated, I too have gone past the point of saying I have enough planes and hand saws, with minimal exceptions, but like Jim, if a great deal came along on a plane like a 5&1/4 or a saw like either a Stanley 12 or a carcass saw came along, it would be very hard not to go home with it.

As others have said in the past: "My name is Stew, and I have a saw, chisel, and plane problem."

Stew

Well, see, it's much more time efficient to have several #4s and #5s set up with different sets, chip breaker distances, cambers, maybe a spare or two so you don't have to stop and change a frog or a set, or sharpen in the middle of a task. So really, having a single smoother and a single jack really doesn't get you that far.

And block planes, well there you need one set up to do chamfers, one for end grain, one for fine clean up, a couple beaters, one for your tool box, one to lend out and definitely a few more. Again you are just at the start, not the end

I can relate very well to the original poster. I realize that I could have gotten along with less tools and the uses for any of my tools seems to be dwindling. I fiddle in the shop mostly as a pastime these days.

I used to collect quite a few Veritas and LN stuff. Nowadays I am building up another set from Record and Stanley tools. Many are duplicates of each other while some are not like the LV Jack plane. I could do with less overtime but I have been slowing down my collection over the years.