Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Yes, read your insurance policy

An agent we had years ago said people call all day long saying they want the cheapest policy they can get. Have a loss and cant understand why it is not covered.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    An agent we had years ago said people call all day long saying they want the cheapest policy they can get. Have a loss and cant understand why it is not covered.
    Sadly, this isn't uncommon and is just another effect of folks not considering value instead of just cost when making purchase decisions. With insurance, this isn't helped by some company's marketing of "only buy what you need". I don't have an issue with the concept of "buy only what you need"...but where it falls flat with insurance is that too high a percentage of people don't actually understand insurance and what all the various pieces are for. Then they have a loss, file a claim and find out that because of the way they purchased their insurance without actually understanding what it covered, they are facing the loss without help from the insurance they bought. When I was in the business for a couple of years long ago (my dad was a very successful and well respected agent for 30+years) it was actually difficult at that point to get folks to take higher limits on the 'uninsured/underinsured motorist" coverage on their auto policies. They were taking high limits to protect others but not protecting themselves in the same way for only a few dollars of premium difference. That's just one little example. I can only imagine what folks are skipping when they shoot for lowest cost rather than best value...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Another suggestion, be careful what questions you ask. A few years ago a friend with a small business asked for a favor. He wanted me to store a few sample for him (he lives in a different, smaller town) and deliver them to a courier when he needed them shipped somewhere. Just to be safe, I asked my car insurance company if I was covered. They responded that they don't cover "delivery vehicles" even if I was only doing it as an unpaid favor. I said OK. I won't do it but they put a note on my file that I had asked the question. Never had a claim but every time I "delivered something" like helping out at a foodbank and delivered to a client or picked up groceries from a store and delivered to the foodbank I wondered what would happen if I had an accident. I've since changed companies, haven't asked the new company the question. I wouldn't use my vehicle for paid deliveries (like a commercial vehicle)without clearing it with them but don't consider what I have been doing as making my vehicle a "delivery vehicle". Anyone with insurance experience have an opinion on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Just to be safe, I asked my car insurance company if I was covered. They responded that they don't cover "delivery vehicles" even if I was only doing it as an unpaid favor. I said OK. I won't do it but they put a note on my file that I had asked the question. Never had a claim but every time I "delivered something" like helping out at a foodbank and delivered to a client or picked up groceries from a store and delivered to the foodbank I wondered what would happen if I had an accident.
    Doug, How did you see the note on your file?

It's amazing how much power insurance companys have and how they track us. They catagorize us in many ways. A low credit-based insurance score can affect your car insurance rates more than a DUI, in some cases.
    Some use a tactic called "price optimization" to charge loyal customers a higher premium.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Joiner View Post
    Doug, How did you see the note on your file?

It's amazing how much power insurance companys have and how they track us. They catagorize us in many ways. A low credit-based insurance score can affect your car insurance rates more than a DUI, in some cases.
    Some use a tactic called "price optimization" to charge loyal customers a higher premium.
    I never actually saw the note on my file, I was just told they had put it there. Made me think twice about using my car to deliver but didn't stop me. Just made me wonder what would happen if I had a claim, how would they know if I was delivering something? Now that I think about it, I should have asked them where in my policy does it say I can't use the vehicle for deliveries.

My insurance agent finally got back to me. I am entitled to discounts for my generator and my low temperature monitor. But they only allow 20% discount and I already had 16%; so I get a $40 refund for this year. Better than a sharp stick in the eye.