Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help Spilled PVC Purple Cleaner

Sorry Bert, you wrote 'cleaner' not 'primer', so I thought you meant cleaner

Have you tried denatured alcohol? Acetone? Turpentine? (or 'Turpatine; as some call it now)

Test on some hidden flooring if you can first, especially with acetone.

--hand cleaner? Bar Keepers Friend? Or just plain old soap and water? Funny thing about chemicals and cleaners, while plain old tap water will clean up a dried coffee stain, alcohol won't touch it!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

well I did try soap and water and I tried goof off which I think is like acetone, anyway it didn't work
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Sorry Bert, you wrote 'cleaner' not 'primer', so I thought you meant cleaner

Have you tried denatured alcohol? Acetone? Turpentine? (or 'Turpatine; as some call it now)

Test on some hidden flooring if you can first, especially with acetone.

--hand cleaner? Bar Keepers Friend? Or just plain old soap and water? Funny thing about chemicals and cleaners, while plain old tap water will clean up a dried coffee stain, alcohol won't touch it!
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    the flooring is cheap-as-it-gets 'machine shop' floor tile, at least 52 years old. Not sure if it's vinyl, linoleum or what exactly, but purple cleaner just cleans it...

That all said, are you sure the stain you can't get off isn't actually a really clean spot?
    At that age, the tile has a better than average chance that it is vinyl with an asbestos base.

You could try some of the clear PVC primer/cleaner to “re-wet” it, then wipe it up. But, I agree with some of the other assessments—the vinyl is likely permanent etched.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Blog Entries
    Have you tried bleach?
    NOW you tell me...

+1 on rewetting it. Pvc primer etches the pipe and has a chemical reaction with the pvc. Your only chance at saving the tiles is to rewet it with clear and try and wipe it up. Test it in the back of a closet if you have one. I was on a job where another plumber spilled a quart in a new tub, we ended up getting it cleaned up with the clear.

I too will always use the clear. to prevent this.I have had inspectors comment but I produced the can and they ok'd

When using glue/primer primer should still be wet when adding the glue for the best glue up

I unfortunately dropped a can of the primer on the floor of my shop from a step ladder. 15 years ago. Still there.

At least I have learned they have a clear primer available now.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.