Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Spilled PVC Purple Cleaner

Help Spilled PVC Purple Cleaner

on linoleum kitchen floor. is there anything that will take it out? I tried goof off didn't do anything.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

You are in deep trouble! That is a strong dye and in my experience, what it touches it stays.

If you are able to find a solution please share back. I might know of a small patch in my kids basement.

Otherwise, sounds like you have a looming trip to either a flooring or rug dealer in the near future.

Best of luck,
    Chris

Blog Entries

Blog Entries
    ...but seriously, I think any solvent that strong is just going to etch the linoleum. I would try denatured alcohol but let it sit and float the dye out, and then blot it up.

I use the clear cleaner, even on pipes that are going in the ground.

Insidious nasty stuff. There's a purple stain on the maple floor in front of our kitchen sink. After 8 years it has faded to the point where only I see it. I buy the clear stuff now for anything where the inspector doesn't need to see the telltale dye.

I took night courses at the local Community College, in 1975 in preparation for taking the Plumbing, and Electrical license tests. There was an old guy in the plumbing class that had been a plumber all his life, but could not pass the test. I don't think he could read.

Anyway, the instructor asked him, with his many years of experience at plumbing, what advice could he give all the young ones in the class. He answered, "You use dat copper pipe, you gonna get burned. You use dat PVC pipe, you gonna get dat purple stuff on somethin' you don wan to, and get glue all over everything."

might be my only alternative, but I don't really want a rug in front of the sink.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Main working ingredient in purple cleaners is lye, so it likely etched the linoleum. I use the stuff to clean the linoleum on my basement floors: My rotary tool machines all have a cheap bucket/fountain pump setup to flood water soluble cutting oil to the engraving area when engraving metals. The floor is caked with the dried drips and splashes around every machine. Straight purple cleaner and a stiff brush takes it right off, and has never hurt the flooring-

Here's a spot, you can see where the bucket sits
    DSC09180.jpg

ZEP purple cleaner, straight up, not a whole lot-
    DSC09181.jpg

very stiff boat-deck brush-
    DSC09182.jpg

scrubbed for about 30 seconds-
    DSC09183.jpg

-wiped the excess with paper towels,
    DSC09184.jpg

--then sprayed a little water on, and wiped again--
    DSC09185.jpg

Closeup of the before/after...
    DSC09186.jpg

the flooring is cheap-as-it-gets 'machine shop' floor tile, at least 52 years old. Not sure if it's vinyl, linoleum or what exactly, but purple cleaner just cleans it...

That all said, are you sure the stain you can't get off isn't actually a really clean spot?
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Think OP was talking about PVC purple cleaner...
    Not industrial purple cleaner...
    ????????????????????

Ok this is what I spilledIMG_20210424_131707333 (Copy).jpg
    This is what it looks likeIMG_20210424_131650005 (Copy).jpg
    this is what I triedIMG_20210424_131624760 (Copy).jpg
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Blog Entries
    That flooring is vinyl, not linoleum. Big difference. Vinyl flooring is made of PVC, which the cleaner dissolves the surface of as it cleans & primes.

Since there's nothing to lose, get some aerosol PVC cement (basically PVC solvent with very little filler), wet a rag with it & gently work away at the spots, removing surface material until the stain is gone. That will leave a nasty rough spot. Apply seam sealer (that flooring installers use on the vinyl seams) in sufficient layers to build up the surface again. It will likely be a lot glossier than the rest of the floor, but a 3M pad could be used to dull it just a bit. You will still know it's there, but it wouldn't be that noticeable. I've done much smaller repairs using that technique.

Some Inspectors want to see the purple, but I use this, if I can get by with it, anywhere possible.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Oatey-8-fl-oz-Cleaner/4756181

Thanks for the replies. I think I have 2 options the cheapest is a mat and the second is replace the whole thing. I'm looking into replacing the flooring.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Some Inspectors want to see the purple, but I use this, if I can get by with it, anywhere possible.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Oatey-8-fl-oz-Cleaner/4756181

Using duct tape, tape both cleaner and solvent cans together. If possible, tape a third can into the bundle. Makes it harder to knock over. Also set a square of cardboard under cans. I'm not sure which is worse, on the floor, or on the counter.