Thread: Cutting Boards with matching Coasters and Holder

Cutting Boards with matching Coasters and Holder

Hello All,
    I somehow missed the obligatory making of cutting boards previously in my woodworking exploits, so I decided that now was the time. I wanted to make a gift for my daughter and her husband, and had a request from my wife (gotta pay attention to those!), so off I went. This was also a good time to show some appreciation to my awesome neighbors, so I ended up building 6 boards in all. I used the 2 designs in the photos made from walnut, hard maple, alder, and sapele. I won’t elaborate on these unless asked since you all have probably seen similar boards before. I will say that between the inlays, handles, and juice grooves I learned some worthwhile skills to use in the future.

I wanted something more than just a cutting board for my daughter, so I made a matching set of coasters with a holder. The holder was the most elaborate part of the build, because I wanted to use a small walnut cutoff from a previous project with nice grain that was not quite big enough for the 4” coasters. Since I didn’t want to reduce the size of the coasters, I added a maple accent on each corner to give me the length I needed. I ended up liking this better than a plain beveled corner because of the nice contrast. I routed grooves in each piece of maple, as well as the ends of the walnut panels, and added a spline for strength. The openings in the holder were cut roughly on the table saw, and then cleaned up using a simple MDF router guide with a flush trim bit.

Thanks for viewing!
    Tim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice Tim! Finish?
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Well done Tim, a lot of people are going to smile!

Thanks guys! I wanted a finish with a bit more sheen than mineral oil, which seems a bit dull to me. I recently bought and tested 3 of the oil/wax finishes that are popular now: Rubio Monocoat, Osmo, and Odie’s Oil. While I really Ike the Osmo, I used the Odies for this project since it’s advertised as food safe and appears pretty durable from the tests I’ve seen. It will be interesting to see how well it holds up after multiple washings.