Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why are drill presses so expensive?

With what the cost of a new DP is, you could also find a mill for about same price or less in used market. DP's to me is hard to justify buying new for that once awhile need. Like others I have purchase used the older delta/Rockwell DP for about 250.00, have to keep in mind that there's a good chance that the previous owner only used it only few times. Like Tom saying a good brand would be the older PM's I had chance while back to pick up the 1200 for 500.00 but I have a mill that will do the same thing then some.
    I might add to this is to search for a DP that is 3phase and put you a VFD on it so don't have to keep changing belts when need to change rpm's
    Last edited by Carroll Courtney; 04-24-2021 at 8:58 AM.

I have an old Delta Rockwell 15" floor model with 6" quill travel that I fully restored some years ago. Love it. Paid $220 for it. Actually it was a little complicated to restore and the head castings were very thick and heavy. I know restoring old iron is not for everyone, but don't know how I got along without one for so long, use it all the time. Randy
    Randy Cox
    Lt Colonel, USAF (ret.)

Do not buy a Walker Turner 15" dp to restore. They use 2 custom bearings for the upper pulley. That is the one with the tophat oiler on top of the spindle cover.The WT 20 " is fine and uses normal bearings. 6" quill stroke! To make that DP is why Delta bought out WT. It was sold under the delta by wt name for a while in the early 1950's.
    Pretty much any DP factory built with a three phase motor is good quality and a vfd will run it from 120 volts single phase. This gives you variable speed, slow start, power brakes, instant reverse etc.
    Bill D

Do not buy a Walker Turner 15" dp to restore. They use 2 custom bearings for the upper pulley.
    Things like this are why I'll seldom - if ever - buy used equipment.
    It isn't a good deal - if it sits unfixed in the garage - because either there are no parts available and/or, I have no idea where to even start fixing it.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Quote Originally Posted by Carroll Courtney View Post
    With what the cost of a new DP is, you could also find a mill for about same price or less in used market. DP's to me is hard to justify buying new for that once awhile need. Like others I have purchase used the older delta/Rockwell DP for about 250.00, have to keep in mind that there's a good chance that the previous owner only used it only few times. Like Tom saying a good brand would be the older PM's I had chance while back to pick up the 1200 for 500.00 but I have a mill that will do the same thing then some.
    I might add to this is to search for a DP that is 3phase and put you a VFD on it so don't have to keep changing belts when need to change rpm's
    That's what I've been semi seeing as well. Theres a Used bench top mill for 400 locally now. Tempting... Sure I could find lots of uses for a milling machine

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    I love that look, and think that those are far more attractive than my computerised, multi-function Nova Voyager. A small fraction of the price as well. But, if the money was not an option, which would you have to use?

Regards from Perth

Derek
    If money was no concern, then the high end brand spanking new Nova drill press or other top brand.
    I like restoring tools but not the time it takes. Since I've finally bought a few new tools I can really see the value in having something that is just ready to go. I would assume a lot of folks on these boards are retired and have plenty of time. I finally realized after buying a few new tools, that I'm spending more time woodworking and less time fiddling with things. Unfortunately that usually not my reality due to budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael J Evans View Post
    I would assume a lot of folks on these boards are retired and have plenty of time.
    Can you explain how this works? I'm busier now than before retirement. Not sure how I had time to work. My "to do list" grows longer each day. That's with just the "has to be done," not "I want to do."

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Can you explain how this works? I'm busier now than before retirement. Not sure how I had time to work. My "to do list" grows longer each day. That's with just the "has to be done," not "I want to do."
    LoL
    I said ASSUME 😉

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    My theory based upon personal experience is’ “what I previously could do all day, now takes me all day to do”.

I feel this way about 12" disc sanders, Its something I want but cant justify it

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    My theory based upon personal experience is’ “what I previously could do all day, now takes me all day to do”.
    Sure can relate to that
    Ron

I have the Powermatic PM2820EVS on order. At $2k it's crazy money for a drill press but it offers some innovative woodworking (and metal) features I really like that are not standard on other presses. http://www.powermatic.com/us/en/new-...s-drill-press/

Old guy retired and said he was busy all the time and wondered how he ever got stuff done when he had a job.

I like buying used. Ive gotten way better machines than the ones I bought new when I started. The last drill press I bought was a Buffalo 18. Up and running in a business that went down. For the most part those machines are fine, its not hobby land, its a shop making a living and stuff has to work. Some machines even have had maintenance records right on them. I think I paid 65.00 for it if it was more it was not much over 100.00. Only neg its three phase. Not an issue and could be a VFD as well which would improve it with dial in speed control. Have to look it up now to see what I paid. Also have a General that I bought new. takes time to find machinery. A bridgeport sold once at an auction for under 200.00 I was not there that day so that was painful to see looking back. Most of them are over 3k used.

Checked and it was 65.00 18 percent buyers premium and 50.00 loading fee. Thats a drag the loading fee but we hand bombed it and it was heavy. Next time moving it took it apart and did it myself with a fridge dolly.
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 04-26-2021 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael J Evans View Post
    If money was no concern, then the high end brand spanking new Nova drill press or other top brand.
    I like restoring tools but not the time it takes. Since I've finally bought a few new tools I can really see the value in having something that is just ready to go. I would assume a lot of folks on these boards are retired and have plenty of time. I finally realized after buying a few new tools, that I'm spending more time woodworking and less time fiddling with things. Unfortunately that usually not my reality due to budget.

Looks like the X does not line up with the center line?
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 04-26-2021 at 3:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Coolidge View Post
    I have the Powermatic PM2820EVS on order. At $2k it's crazy money for a drill press but it offers some innovative woodworking (and metal) features I really like that are not standard on other presses. http://www.powermatic.com/us/en/new-...s-drill-press/
    That looks like a beast,congrats on awesome looking DP