Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why are drill presses so expensive?

Why are drill presses so expensive?

Probably a dumb question, but why the heck are full size drill presses so expensive. I was flipping through either a woodcraft or rockler catalog and noticed the drill presses were just as expensive if not more than the bandsaws, lunch box planers, contractor saws, etc. I would think a bandsaw / table saw has so much more mass and parts, let alone transport costs, and a lunchbox planer wayore moving parts.

Is it just a economy of scale type of thing, way more table saws and bandsaws sold or am I missing something? Drill press has a motor, couple small pulleys, the upright portion and the head, small table. No real huge chunks of ground cast iron, blades or anything like that.

Blog Entries
    They do have a lot of metal in them, and they require a lot of labor and machining. Just a thought.

When drill presses first appeared in garage shops and hobby basements, they were an industrial fixture.

Now, it's a relative rarity. Lower supply, methink$.

They don't look expensive to me at all.

In the 1980's they were around $500.

In inflation adjusted dollars they're a fraction of that now.

Same for table saws. In the early 80's a good Sears saw was around $900....................Regards, Rod.

I agree with Rod. You can get a decent full sized 15" drill press from Rigid for $400 from the Home Depot. Maybe it would help if you were to provide brand names, or specific models? I believe Rockler and Woodcraft carry Powermatic, which is expensive because of the brand and quality, and Nova, which is expensive because of the motor and electronics.

Home depot no longer has the Ridgid drill press.

They carry the Ryobi & Wen junk.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Seems to be out of stock, so maybe it's just a supply chain problem. They still have it listed on their website. I know it was available a month or two ago, I nearly bought one.

Ignoring the issues with the Rigid model, Grizzly has a similar model for $500.
    https://www.grizzly.com/products/gri...ll-press/g7944

I don't know if it's a regional thing - but - none of the HD stores in my area have had the Ridgid drill press for a couple of years.
    I've been on again/off again looking for something to replace my GMC benchtop.

The problem with everything from Grizzly is - - shipping charges.
    That looks like a nice tool - but - the shipping charges add $125 to the price.
    Every time I consider something from them - the added shipping charges kill the deal.
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 04-23-2021 at 10:28 AM.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Because they require rather large, well machined parts. Sheet metal and castings are cheap, machining is where the money is at.

Blog Entries
    Drill presses are sort of a pet peeve of mine. I do not think they are necessarily over-priced, just under-quality for that price. With few exceptions (and usually a bit of luck) a decent drill press for under $1500 is a rare bird. I've kept using a $300 (new) Delta for a long time since it would cost me 5 times that to get a better unit. So may are out there that should be good. They have all the potential and then fail at a certain feature or level of quality.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    They don't look expensive to me at all.

In the 1980's they were around $500.

In inflation adjusted dollars they're a fraction of that now.

Same for table saws. In the early 80's a good Sears saw was around $900....................Regards, Rod.
    Well said, totally agree
    Woodmaster 812 planer, 5hp with accessories was approx 1400 1986, Delta Contractors saw approx 500-600, Jet 6" jointer approx 500?? memory is fading.
    Was making 30k a year working lots of overtime to get there.
    Ron

I don't know if it's a regional thing - but - none of the HD stores in my area have had the Ridgid drill press for a couple of years.
    Also not available in store here either, same with the Ridgid jointer, but it was available for order.

I bought a Wen drill press and it does the job. I won't buy Ryobi anymore but this drill press has worked fine and there customer service was great when I had an issue even after owning the saw for awhile.

Yeah, I dont see the Ridgid in their online store. Too bad - I have one and like it.

They do have one badged General International for under $700. I dont know anything about them though.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Don't discount the option of bringing back to life some old American iron. Around here (Connecticut) you can pick up an old Delta for a song. Its fun (mostly) refurbishing them. And the performance specs on the refurbished iron are likely to be better than the new stuff coming out of china. Here is a unit I just finished: it runs like a Rolex!
    [IMG][/IMG]