Thread: How do I...

Question How do I...

Clean this handle up?
    Thursday rust hunt, will have to do.JPG
    Picked this today....Hammer is a 20oz Estwing Curved claw hammer....with leather washers as the handle....

The Stanley No. 923-8in. I can clean up fairly well...same with that screwdriver.....it is those leather washers I am worried about.....

My Late dad used to have one of these...I think it was a 16oz version.....washers are long gone on it, though.

Would like to bring this latest version back to life....without losing those white stripes....The metal part of the hammer should clean up nicely enough....just the handle needs a bit different sort of clean up...

Hmmm...

Blog Entries
    A local sporting goods store should have baseball Glove Oil or Glove Cleaner (not to be confused with a Twilight Zone episode) that will do the trick.

For my old Estwing claw hammer mineral oil has helped to rejuvenate the leather disks. A curved claw is their "Claw Hammer" straight claws is their "Rip Hammer.

If my memory works next trip to the shop a picture will be taken of my two. The Rip Hammer is much newer and still has the original color and most of the shelac or varnish coating.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 04-23-2021 at 9:22 AM. Reason: spelling
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Clean this handle up?
    Thursday rust hunt, will have to do.JPG
    Picked this today....Hammer is a 20oz Estwing Curved claw hammer....with leather washers as the handle....

The Stanley No. 923-8in. I can clean up fairly well...same with that screwdriver.....it is those leather washers I am worried about.....

My Late dad used to have one of these...I think it was a 16oz version.....washers are long gone on it, though.

Would like to bring this latest version back to life....without losing those white stripes....The metal part of the hammer should clean up nicely enough....just the handle needs a bit different sort of clean up...

Hmmm...
    Have cleaned a piece of veg tan leather that got soaked in oil.

- Wash with cold water to remove loose stuff.
    - Use dish washer soap (few drops) or degreaser (diluted) next. Let it soak into leather, lightly clean using brush and then soak up the soap/ degreaser with paper towel. Repeat few times as needed.
    - In previous step, when leather is wet, don't apply too much pressure or any force that can deform the leather.
    - Wash with water to get rid of soap/degreaser.
    - Dry the leather with paper towel and leave to dry for a day.
    - Apply neat foot oil. Let it be for few hours and then dry using towels. Once oil stop coming to surface, it should be good. Alternately, stain and seal the surface.

Have done this only one time and it worked. I might have gotten lucky, so take it with bunch of salt grains.

Good ideas above. Another idea is a car care product like this one: LINK I have not tried it on tools but I have used it on a car. They sell it at various parts stores near me, besides Wallymart.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Any "saddle soap" available at your local Target or Shoe Store?

Have a bottle of Murphy's Oil Soap on hand....however, there are a few paint splatters to get rid of....too.

You could try a cabinet scraper for the paint spatters. The leather is probably hard enough to cut cleanly at the surface, and the patina will be different under the paint anyways because of the lack of light and air.
    Last edited by Andrew Seemann; 04-23-2021 at 1:08 PM.

Well..it seems to have cleaned up nicely enough..
    IMG_6266.JPG
    Murphy's Oil Soap.....and now I can't get THAT smell out of me nose.....yuck.
    IMG_6267.JPG

Just like on those slick blue handles....name and weight....from Rockford, ILL.

Blog Entries
    As mentioned earlier, here are my two 16 oz Estwing hammers:

Estwing Claw & Rip Hammer.jpg

Claw on the right and rip on the left.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)