Thread: My clamp for sliding table saw

My clamp for sliding table saw

This clamp is a bit unusual, but it works very nicely. It is called a Lever Clamp, by Maple Tree Clamp CO. I got it about 20 years ago at a WW show.

It was advertised mainly as a drill press clamp, but useful for other tools. The company didn't last long, and I do not know if anyone else is making them.

You can vary the pressure very easily, and it is simple to use. The 2X4 is used as a spacer to allow the clamp to reach the work. It will clamp very tightly, but works well with just moderate pressure.

IMG_20200303_104437046.jpg

IMG_20200303_104425648.jpg

IMG_20200303_104501628.jpg

IMG_20200303_104643037.jpg

IMG_20200303_104657726.jpg

IMG_20200303_105027373.jpg
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Rick had you used that clamp before ? Or did you just put it to use now with the slider ? Looks like a basic and functional design that would adjust easily. Maybe you should paint the red part Minimax blue...

While I have the OEM cam clamps for my S315WS, that's certainly an effective design. IMHO, it's important to have some kind of clamping setup for when very precise work is involved. I also generally use a piece of scrap on top of the workpiece to help protect it and provide better hold in some cases by spreading the pressure.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

You caught me there Mike. My dad and I got these as a twofer. Mine has been sitting in a drawer all that time. Never used it on the drill press, which has a table on it. I was surprised it worked nicely on the saw.

Jim, I also have the original MM clamp. I find this handier where it is, behind the small crosscut fence. I still use the original behind the long fence, when needed.

Wish I knew what happened to dad's lever clamp.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

OK, I apologize for bringing this oldie back, but it needs a follow up.

After trying it for a while, I realize when I clamp things down, it pulls the work away from the fence just a tiny bit. Not much, but it throws the square cut off a bit.

So.. I still use it, but have changed positions and place it on the front side of the work. Now if it tries to move the work, it actually pushes it tight against the crosscut fence.

I just mention this in case someone finds a lever clamp and runs across this thread someday.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.