Thread: Out with the old, in with the new - router cabinet

Out with the old, in with the new - router cabinet

I think it was about 35 years ago when I was getting into more serious woodworking that I saw Norm build what would be his first router cabinet. It was heavy duty and very basic with no drawers but good dust collection.

Since getting a Woodpecker lift and fence last year it was time to build. This is my new cabinet with more storage than I could hope for for just router bits and accesories.
    cabinet complete.jpg
    The top is 43" x 27" and I used the same 22" soft close slides from my recent kitchen cabinet upgrade. The cabinet, including the drawer fronts, is made from a sheet of 3/4" solid core plywood that I acquired a couple of years ago.
    One problem with the old cabinet that plagued me at times was keeping the router plate level. Some of you will likely say I went overboard with my solution to permanently fix this issue. The top is made up of 2 pieces of 3/4" MDF and so I routed the underside of the upper MDF piece and epoxied 4 strips of 1/8" thick metal before the 2 pieces of MDF were glued together.
    metal strips inlay.jpg
    Here is a picture of the top with it's hard maple edging before the formica was glued on both sides.
    top w o fomica.jpg
    Since the new lift allows the router to come up all the way for bit changes and with a remote speed control knob below the magnetic power switch there should be no need to me to ever go into the underside cavity space like I had to constantly do with the old cabinet.

Looks great John! I love the good sized drawers. Nice work.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Like the reinforced plate mounts and the cabinet. Thanks for sharing!
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Wow, I need that. Really nice. If you decide to upgrade again, send it my way. Per your location, we may be fairly close neighbors! But I’m getting old, so upgrade soon, huh?!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Wow, I need that. Really nice. If you decide to upgrade again, send it my way. Per your location, we may be fairly close neighbors! But I’m getting old, so upgrade soon, huh?!
    Thanks Phil, at 72 I think this will be my last upgrade. At least, for a router cabinet. BTW, I'm near Kings Mill, Lapeer County.

Love your neck of the woods. I’m in the Birmingham/Beverly Hills area. If I’m headed that way, I’ll PM you. Always nice to meet another woodworker.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Love your neck of the woods. I’m in the Birmingham/Beverly Hills area. If I’m headed that way, I’ll PM you. Always nice to meet another woodworker.
    You are welcome anytime Phil. I'd love to swap stories with a fellow Creeker.