Thread: Bandsaw Blade Beginner Question

Bandsaw Blade Beginner Question

So I am going to pick up my first bandsaw in a day or two and wanted to order some blades to get started.

What are some good blades to get started? (I saw one recommendation for 1/4"-4 TPI Flexback, 3/8"-3 TPI Flexback and 1/2" 3 TPI Hardback)
    Should I order multiples?
    What brands/sites do you recommend? (It seems like Lennox is recommended a lot)

One of the first things I want to do is make some magnetic knife blocks which will involve resawing the face off some thicker stock so I can glue it back on after implanting the magnets.

I have watched a few YouTube videos but it be nice to get an unsponsored opinion.

What saw, what size? Folks cannot make a recommendation without that info.

What will you be sawing most of the time ???
    Are you going to resaw lumber??

ETC....

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Putnam View Post
    What saw, what size? Folks cannot make a recommendation without that info.
    Sorry Harvey 615P https://www.harveywoodworking.com/pr...hp-15-band-saw

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Aumiller View Post
    What will you be sawing most of the time ???
    Are you going to resaw lumber??

ETC....
    Not sure all the time but to start off I want to resaw some wood with and across the grain rough 10 to 14 in thick. Have some ideas do knife blocks.

If you want to resaw stock 10" or more thick you should strongly consider a 3/4" x 2 tpi blade.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    If you want to resaw stock 10" or more thick you should strongly consider a 3/4" x 2 tpi blade.

John
    Thanks John, I will order one of those. Still not sure where to order from though...

Blog Entries
    I think if you use the blade that comes with the saw and use for a few days, you will know which blade to use. You could have two or three if you want to.

I have a 17" Griz with a 3/4" 3 TPI Timberwolf blade - works a treat. Note that I've only sawn wood up to 4". If you are going to go with carbon steel bladeds then look up the threads by John and Derek Cohen on blade sharpening with a Dremel tool.

My 20" Agazzani wears a 1" carbide blade--same blade for about 10 years with no resharpening.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

As Lowell says it's probably best to use the blades that come with the saw and get a feel for them.
    And beware of jumping into getting a fancy expensive blade right away - it will likely be thicker metal than the run of the mill blades, and going around a 15" wheel puts a lot more stress on the weld than going around bigger wheels.