Thread: YADPT (yet another drill press table)

YADPT (yet another drill press table)

I recently added this large table and fence to my recently acquired Nova Voyager drill press.
    Here’s an overall view of the table and fence:

IMG_1030a.jpg

The table is 36w x 28d. There’s a place for an offset round replaceable insert. I got the idea for using a round insert from Derek (thanks!) although I see Woodsmith also used one in one of their designs.

The vertical extrusion is split in the middle and can be opened for chuck clearance when working near the edge of the workpiece:

IMG_1031a.jpg

Here’s a view of the back of the fence (sorry for the lousy angle) showing how the 3 fence pieces are held together such that the two wings can be slid apart. Each wing has a bracket at each end. When you loosen the knobs on the brackets, the wing can be slid out . The bracket near the end of the fence base stays put, while the bracket near the center moves with the wing.

IMG_1028a.jpg

The wings can be slid even farther apart when you need stops farther from the center:

IMG_1032a.jpg

When you need maximum distance between the bit and fence, the fence can be flipped end for end and rotated 90 degrees so with the wings slid out enough to clear the column, the fence can be slid back tight against the column:

IMG_1033a.jpg

Here’s a back view showing how the fence hugs the column in that position:

IMG_1034a.jpg

I extended the table height adjustment out the side of the table to avoid having to provide clearance for that big handle:

IMG_1037a.jpg

Similarly, I extended the column lock out the other side of the table to avoid having to reach around the table to lock and unlock the table:

IMG_1036a.jpg

Extending those adjustments precludes tilting the table. But I rarely do that, since I prefer using wedges when I need to drill at an angle. That lets me avoid disturbing the carefully adjusted 90 degree alignment to the bit. But it only takes a minute or so to disconnect the extensions and remove the table should that be desired.

Comments and questions welcomed!
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Very sweet upgrades!
    Epilog Mini 24-45W, Corel Draw X6, Photoshop CS5, Multi Cam CNC

Tidy. Nicely done.

Kudos

Very nice Paul. I made a similar table, also 36 inches wide, when I got my Nova. But my fence is only a 3 foot piece of 80/20 aluminum so I really like the sliding wings on yours. Can you tell me who's fence that is.

I made square offset inserts out of 1/2 MDF and I think I have a lifetime stock of them. I did make slide out extension wings on my table though. My problem at times was drilling holes in a piece of wood that is longer than 36 inches in this case. When drilling holes near the ends if you have more than 18 inches off the table you have to physically hold the wood flat. The wings took care of that problem for many of my projects. I'm also a metal worker so it's good for long pieces of that heavier material. I made some other mods too and if you're interested they are posted here: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ons&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by John Ziebron View Post
    Very nice Paul. I made a similar table, also 36 inches wide, when I got my Nova. But my fence is only a 3 foot piece of 80/20 aluminum so I really like the sliding wings on yours. Can you tell me who's fence that is.

I made square offset inserts out of 1/2 MDF and I think I have a lifetime stock of them. I did make slide out extension wings on my table though. My problem at times was drilling holes in a piece of wood that is longer than 36 inches in this case. When drilling holes near the ends if you have more than 18 inches off the table you have to physically hold the wood flat. The wings took care of that problem for many of my projects. I'm also a metal worker so it's good for long pieces of that heavier material. I made some other mods too and if you're interested they are posted here: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ons&highlight=
    John, Love your table! I thought about adding storage underneath but decided I would go with a separate cabinet that will straddle the base. I thought about extensions but I mostly work with smaller stuff and can use roller stands for the occasional long piece.

Regarding my fence, the multi-t-track is from Rockler, one piece of 3" and one of 2 1/4. The brackets for joining them are also from rockler. I liked their brackets because they are stout and accurate 90 degrees. Their brackets come with only socket head screws so I replaced some of them with knobs and t-bolts so I could slide the fence easily. Lets see...tall knobs also from rockler. Swing stops are Powertec from Amazon. Powertec also sells the multi-t track, but it was out of stock when I went to buy it.

Nice job Paul!
    I have a small shop (~420 sq ft) and no metalworking skills. So, when I built my extended table, I came up with a different solution for the crank. I don't believe I "invented" it, but I've never seen it documented.
    I selected a sacrificial socket that just did fit over the shaft. I drilled and tapped it and bought a spare socket wrench at a yard sale. I can crank it up and down all day and the "crank" is never in the way.
    IMG_1801.jpg

PS> I've got to figure out why my pictures get rotated when I upload. They look right on my PC. </heavy-sigh>

Question Software Update?

Hi Paul,
    I had another question.
    Have you done a software update on your drill press?
    Supposedly there is one available for mine, but after looking over the instructions I kind of got spooked.
    Didn't look like any kind of reasonable software engineering to me!
    Please share if you have experience updating your drill press.
    Thanks!
    S~

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Bento View Post
    Hi Paul,
    I had another question.
    Have you done a software update on your drill press?
    Supposedly there is one available for mine, but after looking over the instructions I kind of got spooked.
    Didn't look like any kind of reasonable software engineering to me!
    Please share if you have experience updating your drill press.
    Thanks!
    S~
    I haven't Steve. I did check the version when I got it and it was the current version so I haven't had to mess with it. That socket idea was clever...I looked at ratcheting machine handles at McMaster before I decided to extend it, but the socket and ratchet is a great solution.

BTW, I think the issue with the pics being sideways is some kind of metadata problem with phone cameras. I'm sure there is info on it in the support forum, but I just open the pics in an editor program (I use photoshop) and just re-save them with no changes and it fixes the issue.

I have been thinking about putting a ratchet on my Delta, ever since the plastic handle broke several years ago. Never did it because I hardly move the head, as it has a 6" range.

Glad to see it works. Someday....

PS: my rich buddy used a similar setup on the top of his Mini Max (20"?) band saw, and was happy with it also.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.