Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cherry Desks

Cherry Desks

Recently completed identical his and hers desks for our home office. Solid cherry and cherry plywood. Finish is GF Endurovar with first two coats tinted with Transtint brown Mahogany. This is mine. Since my wife has an actual job, hers looks like someone is actually using it.

IMG_1040a.jpg

IMG_1042a.jpg

IMG_1043a.jpg
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

That is a beautiful desk...very well done. Just throw a couple of pieces of paper on top and no one will be the wiser! Really, nice work.
    Last edited by David Lageman; 04-21-2021 at 4:09 PM.
    A wannabe woodworker!

Blog Entries
    Very nice. I would advise you to move that blotter and other items around when not in use as they will leave "shadows" on your cherry top. After a year or so it shouldn't be a problem.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    A handsome set with some great features. What are the square, sculpted looking items?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    A handsome set with some great features. What are the square, sculpted looking items?
    Ah..those are coasters, a gift from my wife who said the desks deserved better than the 20 year old blue plastic ones I was using....

Really nice. Cherry is a top favorite of mine and love the classic design. Well done.

Really nice work. Beautiful.
    Charlie Jones

Wow! They are beautiful
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

Paul, been waiting for these desks...fantastic! Simple clean lines and yet the multiple frame and panels add a level of sophistication. Lovely dovetailed drawers. Is that solid cherry for the drawer sides? I like it. I am tired of using my local pine softwood for my drawers, it is so weak in structure. Next time cherry inside and out.

Classic beauty for sure, impeccable workmanship, and a beautiful finish. I like everything about it.

John

Blog Entries
    Beautiful job. Those coasters look like they're sculpted sandstone?

Very nice Paul. Clean, crisp work and a very solid design. Really well done.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Very nice Paul love cherry.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    Very nice Paul. Clean, crisp work and a very solid design. Really well done.
    +1. Beautifully done.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Gosh, thanks for all the kind and generous words. Means even more coming from the folks that hang out here.

A few answers:

Lee S., will take your advice about moving stuff around to avoid uneven darkening. But it won't be a problem on my wife's desk

Mark R., yes the drawer sides are also cherry. I was fairly picky about grain and color matching the visible parts, so I had plenty of cherry that didn't pass muster for primary use that I used for the internal bits and the drawer boxes.

Frank P., The coasters are some kind of carved wood...no clue what kind. I'm pretty certain it's not domestic. It's not very dense.

Thanks again all for the kind words!