Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Transporting Heavy Items

Quote Originally Posted by John Buzzurro View Post
    Good question, and part of why this makes me nervous.
    I've sold plenty locally and never worried about it. If it does, draw up a Bill of Sale and put in a clause about them being responsible for loading and you not being responsible for damage, injury, etc. once item is paid for and have them sign it.

I have an old cast iron Craftsman drill press I have moved several times by myself. It is too heavy for me to lift but I can walk it out of the shop by tilting it and pivoting the base and I can tilt it into the bed of my truck. I transported it horizontal.

I brought my ~500 lb SawStop PCS home on a trailer (didn't have a truck then) and slid it out of the trailer. I slid it on the pallet it came on and then slid it over to a mobile base I made for it. I had to move it back and forth a couple times to modify the base. I did this before attaching the side tables, however, so I was not dealing with the entire weight.

I brought my bandsaw home in the bed of my pickup. It weighs about 250 lbs. Again I slid it out and walked it into the shop. Was easier than I thought (I had my son's engine hoist there as a backup but didn't use it).

Most recently I moved a new double oven from my garage into the house and then up into the cabinet by myself. It is also about 250 lbs. I pulled the doors to make it lighter.

You can do a lot by sliding and pivoting. But it is best to let the new owner decide what they can do. I don't think a drill press is a big deal but a 500 lb jointer needs about 4 pretty strong guys to lift or some equipment IMHO.

For a local move a truck with a lift gate is cheaper then a drop deck trailer. Give the dp buyer a old tire, with no wheel, for padding if you have one. Makes you seem like a thoughful guy and gets junk off your property.
    Bill D

I've bought and sold my share of equipment, some more than 1500 lbs. I have always bought as-in where-is. Some sellers will not even help load as they want no liability if things go wrong. I have sold many machines too and always sold as-in where-is. I would not consider moving for the buyer

For really heavy equipment this is how you handle it--hire a pro with a monorail truck.

"Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."