Thread: x/y axis stepper motor belt change time! Help please?

x/y axis stepper motor belt change time! Help please?

Hi All,

I have a Chinese laser and the belt on the right side (y axis) is ready for the rubbish bin.

I have never changed belts before and am in need of a hand (or a brain) in regards to proper belt tension. I've got the replacement belt installed now, but don't know just how tight it needs to be or how to measure that tightness.

Here is a picture of the belt clamp that attaches to the gantry.
    mini_P_20210421_122659.jpg

Can anyone help please?

Thanks,
    Meagan

I would think you want it to be taught but not to taught.. I would loosen it till there was slack then take the slack out and then a hair tighter.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    I would think you want it to be taught but not to taught.. I would loosen it till there was slack then take the slack out and then a hair tighter.
    Hi Bert,

Thanks for the reply!!

Okay, so it sounds like there are no real "specs" for this operation! What happens if left and right belts are not equally tensioned? I can certainly get it close, but....??

Thanks,
    Meagan

Im no expert here but I would worry to much about them being the same. Just make sure there not to loose to slip or to tight to bind up . Like I said make them slack then take the slck out the just a tad more and I think you'll be ok
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

How tight is the left side? Just make the right side belt tightness feel like the left side
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Thank you everyone for your advise! I've got it set up and running perfectly!

awesome thanks for letting us know.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander