Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite piece of wood furniture you made or own?

Beautiful scratching posts and a gorgeous cat.

Our house normally has 2 cats, we're down to one now, and a dog. They're best friends and go for a walk together every morning for a couple of blocks, if Widget the cat gets ahead she waits for the dog, and Jebediah waits for Widget if she's lagging.

Always a few stares from people passing.............Rod.

Blog Entries
    I think the benches I'm about to build (Maloof inspired) will likely be my favorite if I am able to accomplish the task.

Until then, I really love this double dog crate, mostly because it's a very Yankee Frugal build... the walnut top is from a tree that we had to remove from our property years ago, portions of the base are from a black locust fence post that was laying in the shed, a few scraps of this and that from a neighbor that moved and left me a pile of lumber... And the dogs love it (although they both have earned the right to be in there with the doors open... good girls!)

Edit: AND, this was my first "pandemic" build, which helped my sanity quite a bit!

Dog Crates FINISHED.jpg
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

When I came to Texas in 2004 for Minimax USA, I was this single dude living in a apartment with zero furniture. At the time, we had a CU300 Smart in the showroom. Being new-ish to combo machines at the time, I was, "Well, guess I have to learn on one of these sooner or later", so made a bookcase out of some solid cherry that was laying around the shop. No actual joinery. Just square boards, screwed together. It as basic as basic gets but very solid. Finished it with BLO and had that thing for another 10 years. Don't remember exactly but at some point, it was in storage, got exposed to lots of moisture, and fell apart. I remember being bummed out since there were so many good memories attached to it.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I like the look of the beveled glass in the top. It it to put items placed below on display? I can imagine putting the book I'm currently reading there.
    John,
    You're exactly right.....bedside use and storage space. Every bedside table I've seen always seems to get too much on it....especially as we get older. I always try/want to make anything I build practical and useable.....if I can make it look nice, that is a bonus. As you can see from these pictures I tool today, they are used and filled. My wife has worn the top on her side until I may need to refinish the top someday. She is a big "reader in bed" so there are always books beneath the glass. And on my side, a single older Lee Valley magazine.....and lots of CPAP equipment!!

Jimcopy20210421_134021.jpgcopy20210421_134035.jpgcopy20210421_134102.jpg
    Last edited by Jim Tobias; 04-22-2021 at 10:18 AM. Reason: add pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Jim, that is spectacular stuff. The “contact paper” people need to copy that veneer ! Then I could afford it . The elevated top is interesting
    but I think the metal curls are not quite up to the modernness and luxury of the woodwork. The piece has made me think of a term I last
    heard more than fifty years ago....”breakfast under glass”.
    John,
    I bought this veneer(English Brown Oak Burl) from a place in High Point, NC (Furniture manufacturing hot spot) a long time before I used some of it to make these bedside tables. I bought a flitch of it. Not too expensive, if I remember correctly. It a place that had bought up a lot of veneer flitches from some of the Furniture Manufacturers that had shut down.
    As for the iron on the tables, I saw this guy(Alwin Wagner) giving a demonstration near Asheville at the Southern Highlands Folk Art Center and kept his card. Years later, I drew a picture of the iron pieces with the sizes and he made them and shipped to me. The iron pieces were to attempt to tie the bedside tables to the bed which has some similar iron design on it.

Jim

Well, the woodworking project I am most proud of is all the woodworking in our house (from entry door, to all passage doors, to cabinets, to trim work, to curved railing, walk-in-closet), that were all documented here. Although it is not a furniture:

n1.jpgw30.jpgfinal7.jpgcab69.jpgfinal3.jpgIMG_2245.jpg

If I had to choose a furniture it would be curved cherry cabinet (which we are using it as a shoe cabinet) with curved raised panels and curly maple inlays.

scf8.jpgscf10.jpg

What beautiful work Mreza!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    What beautiful work Mreza!

Thank you. It was 1.5 years of hard work (+ having a full time day job!)

Very nice work Mreza!
    Definitely work to be proud of
    Ron

Blog Entries
    Like others here I've done a lot of projects over the year so picking a favorite is pretty difficult. Probably the most complex project that was my own design was the kitchen Pantry-microwave cabinet I made for my daughter. The upper cabinet has glass doors and two shelves, used to store coffee cups, tea etc. The left side is a broom closet where she can store a broom, dust mop and dust pan. The lower cabinet has two shelves and she stores her baking pans there. The right side is a spice rack where all the cooking spices are kept. There is also a shelf for a microwave oven. It is a dark coffee color, not black as it appears in the photos.
    IMG_7337 sm.jpgIMG_7339.jpgIMG_7342.jpg
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 04-23-2021 at 1:49 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Impressive Lee, you pack a lot of utility into that cabinet. I'm sure your daughter is happy with it and using it daily.

This Tack Trunk/ blanket chest is probably the nicest piece I've made.
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....unk&highlight=
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

The pieces that I've made that get the most attention are my smaller woodworking items. I've made larger furniture, but in a way, these are sort-of furniture too. I enjoy making these, as well as larger furniture pieces and all are favorites. I've made 16 of the crosses, about 200 pair of ear rings, and probably 35 boxes of this style in various sizes. The cross was made from one piece of mahogany and cut on a scroll saw. The vines and leaves were then carved with an air powered dentist drill using 1/16" diameter bits. The reindeer are cut from hard maple on a scroll saw using a 3D cutting method (yes, I do use magnification). Only one dragon (The Keeper of Time) was made since he took almost 50 hours. The box was made from various thicknesses of Baltic Birch plywood, cut with my Unisaw and then the joints cut with an Incra I-Box jig on the saw, using a Freud SBOX8 box joint blade set.

Charley
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Charles Lent; 04-27-2021 at 2:29 PM.

Blog Entries
    I am always more excited about my Next project than my last. Of finished projects I think these are the ones I am most proud because they forced me to evolve.
    Camphor & Spruce Guitar with Rosewood (1).jpgCamphor & Spruce Guitar with Rosewood (2).jpgCamphor & Spruce Guitar with Rosewood (Matched Pair 2).jpgFederal Table2.jpg
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

You folks do some really nice woodworking, I can only hope my skills get anywhere near yours.

This is my favorite, not furniture though. It's a pump cart I made for a toddler when he was learning to walk. He was a short gut baby and didn't have much of his intestines at birth so he was connected to 1-3 pumps and med bags for about 22hrs a day. Trying to learn how to walk is hard enough without a dragging 3-10 lbs backpack along, so I made him this cart.
    handmade pump cart (3).jpg

It's made of 3/8"? appleply, the corners of the box are locked mitered. I tried to get the box as low as possible to keep the center of gravity low, the box is attached to the horizontal platform with some angle brackets so the we could adjust the box height if necessary.
    I curved the front to maybe reduce the chances of it getting hung up on furniture. I drilled and radiused the holes to make it a tad lighter and to give it a bit of style, 1950's movie space rocket style.

When I gave it to him he could barley see over the handle, the photo was taken just before it was passed on to another short gut toddler learning to walk.
    Last edited by Mike Soaper; 05-05-2021 at 10:17 PM.