Thread: Harvey Band Saws

Question Harvey Band Saws

Hello,
    Looking to purchase a band saw with about 14" resaw capacity. I have looked at a few used bandsaw and most of them don't have the resaw capacity I need. Unfortunately, I need to get it sooner rather than later. I was interested in the Jet - JWBS-18-3 3HP 18" Bandsaw but can't afford to wait until July or August. I was considering getting a Harvey ALPHA HW615. Thoughts?

I just took delivery of a dust processor and the 4HP Alpha cabinet saw from Harvey. If their bandsaws are anything like what I've seen so far, you won't be disappointed.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

I have the Harvey C14 Ambassador and it's pretty good. Arrived 4 months ago almost completely assembled (the fence was in a box) and upright on its pallet, all the cast iron thoroughly slathered in that nasty oil that keeps it from rusting - the table was shipped at 45 degrees, so a bunch of the oil dripped onto the base and pallet. In any case, it slid right onto a mobile base. Needed a fair bit of alignment. The blade that came with it was anemic for resaw, but I put a 2-3tpi 3/4" blade on there and it works very well. I've only resawn upto about 8 or 9" but it didn't break a sweat, smooth finish and tracked straight really well - once I worked out my technique to keep the board against the fence! The fence is okay; not great, not bad either - no flex in it at least, which is good. Overall I recommend it; I can only imagine the Alpha is a step up.

I've had the HW615 for 9 months or so. It's been a nice saw. I dulled the factory blade quickly though, and replaced it with a 1/2" Lennox Trimaster for resawing. I've cut 10" Oak and some pretty hard exotics with good results.

Thanks guys, I ended up order HW615P (I actually order a HW615 but then got a call saying they sold out so we switched it.) I also order the G700 . I will drive up there in the next few days and pick it up.

Any recommendation on what bandsaw blades to order and from where? Sounds like Lennox makes good blades.

Went to the Harvey site to check out the machines you guys are buying. Gave them my email and got a chance to spin a wheel. Won a 7% discount, wish I was in the market to buy something.