Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Harvey Alpha HW110S-36 Review

Wow - that is one heck of a setup.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

2. Quote Originally Posted by Charles Vochatzer View Post
    Did,you end up needing to cut the rails?
    Judging by the markings, it seems so. I would like to know that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabetha Lockwood View Post
    Judging by the markings, it seems so. I would like to know that too.
    Yes, I had to cut the rail for the slider to fit.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Hi Julie, I was hoping you wouldn't mind checking something for me. I'm about to drill mounting holes into my st-1500 slider to fit on my unisaw. The front hole lines up at the proper distance to the saw's first mounting hole but the slider sits just a tiny bit higher than the saw's table. The other two holes need to be drilled.

My question is: does your slider sit a tiny higher than the tablesaw?

I found this video and at the 41 second mark, it says it should be but the square looks like it's sitting flush.
    https://youtu.be/ZSmnT55oLYE

John, Julie hasn't been here since September...likely because of being smack in the path of the hurricane that hit SW Florida.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Oh... hoping all is well for her then. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    Hi Julie, I was hoping you wouldn't mind checking something for me. I'm about to drill mounting holes into my st-1500 slider to fit on my unisaw. The front hole lines up at the proper distance to the saw's first mounting hole but the slider sits just a tiny bit higher than the saw's table. The other two holes need to be drilled.

My question is: does your slider sit a tiny higher than the tablesaw?

I found this video and at the 41 second mark, it says it should be but the square looks like it's sitting flush.
    https://youtu.be/ZSmnT55oLYE
    Hi John,

Yes, the slider is a bit above the saw table. Taking a straight edge from the saw table to the slider, the straight edge hits about half way up the chamfer on the slider.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    John, Julie hasn't been here since September...likely because of being smack in the path of the hurricane that hit SW Florida.
    Jim, yeah we took it on the chin with the eye passing right through our house but we did surprisingly well. Power was out for less than a week and cable was reconnected in about three weeks.

I've been absent mostly because I'm working on a new construction project for the wildlife center here. We're trying to get that first shovel in the ground and with all the hoops you have to jump through, it's time consuming!

Thank you, Julie. That helps a bunch. I hope you fared well with the weather in your area.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    Jim, yeah we took it on the chin with the eye passing right through our house but we did surprisingly well. Power was out for less than a week and cable was reconnected in about three weeks.

I've been absent mostly because I'm working on a new construction project for the wildlife center here. We're trying to get that first shovel in the ground and with all the hoops you have to jump through, it's time consuming!
    SO glad to hear you are doing ok, Julie!! There were a few folks wondering awhile back...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post

I was out of the country, and missed this post, Julie. We were worried about you, as the eye passed right over you. I'm thrilled to hear that you are OK.

We just evacuated to Tampa for a few days, but luckily didn't get any storm surge. Not a Clearwater thing, it turned out.

My daughter went to FGCU, and the pictures of all her college haunts at the beach being destroyed just stunned her.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    I was out of the country, and missed this post, Julie. We were worried about you, as the eye passed right over you. I'm thrilled to hear that you are OK.

We just evacuated to Tampa for a few days, but luckily didn't get any storm surge. Not a Clearwater thing, it turned out.

My daughter went to FGCU, and the pictures of all her college haunts at the beach being destroyed just stunned her.
    We evacuated to Tampa, too. Ended up staying an extra day because I-75 was closed due to flooding. All the rain Ian dumped up north made its way down and created a second storm surge, long after Ian had left Florida.

Now another hurricane season is on the horizon. I'm just finishing a long live edge table and for the legs I used white oak and plantation teak, in case of storm surge! Kinda crazy to live with that possibility.

Yeah, hurricane season gets your attention if you've lived here long enough. Too many newbies with no real knowledge/respect for the dangers make for some pretty dangerous decisions. In my community, right on the Gulf of Mexico, everyone said they were evacuating, but we were the only ones who wound up doing that. And with the peninsula here, and the low lying bridges, when things get bad, all the bridges close, and you're going nowhere. And vast numbers of people evacuate to Orlando. Which is always right in the path of all the storms (East Coast, West Coast. They always cut through the middle of the state. 4-6 hour traffic jams, no gas, hotels with no power. Really bad move, but we see thousands of people do it every storm.)

Interestingly, this year we evacuated in my Tesla. I used to say that after great thought, I figured out that the only use for a Tesla in a hurricane evacuation is that it's the World's best iPhone charger. That being said, on the way back after the storm, I took note of the 50 or so gas stations closed with no power. As I had noticed before, despite a state law requiring gas stations to have generators for use after a hurricane, none of them buy them. But interestingly, I saw 4 Tesla superchargers with power, including one at a Wawa who had no power, and non-working gas pumps. So the Tesla wound up being a pretty good choice. And the company sends software before a storm increasing the range that your car can maximally charge to. Kudos to them for that.

Storm surge is our main issue in our house, only being at 7ft elevation, and separated by the Gulf of Mexico by only an acre of mangroves. Our main living area is at 25ft elevation (interesting house, 17 ft ceilings on ground floor), but the workshop and garage would be history. Pretty sure the windows would withstand it. The solar panels?? Roof?? If Pinellas County or Tampa would get an EF5 storm with 20+ ft storm surge, the damage would be catastrophic. The photos from Fort Myers Beach look like that.

We wound up in a hotel with some of the news crews. I was tempted to stand behind some of their news shots and wave, but thought that was silly. At one point, walking our 13 lb dog, she became airborne like a kite. Last outdoor walk she took.

You never know what bad weather can hit you. A very good friend's house was badly damaged and car destroyed on the East coast of Florida this week from a freak EF2 hurricane. Was only on the ground for a couple of miles, but went directly over their house. Being built to Miami-Dade building codes (strengthened several times after Hurricane Andrew) helped, but they weren't home, so the hurricane shutters weren't down.

How is the rebuilding going in Fort Myers Beach, Sanibel, and Punta Gorda? It's stopped being a news story up here, so we hear nothing about it. I was really glad to hear that you were okay. When you went dark, we tried to contact you, but of course couldn't. And seeing that the storm track gave you a direct hit made it more worrisome.
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; 05-04-2023 at 8:15 AM.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    How is the rebuilding going in Fort Myers Beach, Sanibel, and Punta Gorda?
    The eye went right over Punta Gorda so there was a lot of wind damage. But nothing in comparison to Fort Myers Beach. Wind can do a lot of damage but storm surge can be devastating.

There's still a lot of blue tarps on roofs here but everything is up and running. To the south of us, where storm surge was catastrophic, it may be a very long time before they can say the same. Some areas will never be the same.