Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Harvey Alpha HW110S-36 Review

Harvey Alpha HW110S-36 Review

Yesterday I was able to do some unpacking (today is garbage day) and prepared for getting the saw down off the two pallets it arrived on. One from the factory and another underneath added by the trucker. But hey, 500 pounds for an old lady is nothing, right?

The shipment arrived about a week ago with several boxes shrink wrapped together. Something had fallen on one corner but everything was so well packed there was no damage to anything other than the box. Included on the pallet was the Compass ST-1500 sliding table.

I first had to get the saw on its mobile base because it had to be moved out of the way so I could roll my old saw over to the neighbor's garage. First step was to get it off that big blue plastic pallet.

Yeah, the garage is packed to the gills. But I got it off the big pallet

The mobile base is a Portamate 3550. All wheels swivel.

After assembling half of it, I slid the saw to the end of the pallet and put the base half under it.

Then I installed the other half of the base

And inched it down. I was able to set it down softly.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Some pics of what came with the saw

Overarm dust collection

A very nice miter gauge and some other goodies

The insert can be screwed down in front

A look at the TECF 4HP motor. The motor glides on a dovetail trunnion system

Like their G-700 dust processor, I'm finding this thing built like a tank.

Looking good new toys are always fun. How long did it take to get from order date?
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Very exciting to see this! I actually ordered the Ambassador C300-30 about a week and a half ago and am told it will ship this week and can't wait to officially join the owners club! Good luck with the rest of the setup.

Looks really good, Julie. I love your trick for assembling half of the mobile base, sliding the saw onto it, then assembling the other half. Never thought of that.

I'm sure you'll love the 4HP motor.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

According to the instructions, the front rail needs to be cut to accept the sliding table. I will admit to being apprehensive about this because it can't be undone, but, after looking at this from every way but Sunday...

I ran blue tape around the rail and drew a pencil line to follow.

Tomorrow the bandsaw comes out...

Following with interest. Other's will know much better than I but I'm certain that other's have shifted the rail(s) to the right in situations like this which adds a lot more potential capacity on the right. That being said it's also entirely possible that the way your rails mount that can't be done. Just wanted to mention that possibility. Looks like a nice saw. Looking forward to your continued progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    Following with interest. Other's will know much better than I but I'm certain that other's have shifted the rail(s) to the right in situations like this which adds a lot more potential capacity on the right. That being said it's also entirely possible that the way your rails mount that can't be done. Just wanted to mention that possibility. Looks like a nice saw. Looking forward to your continued progress.

I thought about sliding the rail over but the router table extension doesn't go out far enough and the fence would slip off the end. I still haven't made the cut. I've been at my neighbors the past three days working on walnut live edge slabs for his kitchen bar.

Congratulations on the saw, Julie!
    I'm interested to see how you like the sliding table, as I may get the Harvey slider for my saw. It looks a lot like the Sawstop sliding table, but with a better miter gauge and better work stops.
    Keep us posted!

Harvey table saws looks very feature rich in the ads I see in email...
    and very cost competitive for sure!
    I have not heard much feedback though from end users...
    glad this thread started...

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Dodds View Post
    Congratulations on the saw, Julie!
    I'm interested to see how you like the sliding table, as I may get the Harvey slider for my saw. It looks a lot like the Sawstop sliding table, but with a better miter gauge and better work stops.
    Keep us posted!

Thank you, Edwin. I still haven't assembled the whole thing. Waiting for the router wing to come plus some modifications to do. As for the sliding table, that's one of the mods. Harvey supplies a couple of legs for the slider but that anchors the saw in place. I need it to be mobile so I'm working on legs that will attach to the mobile base and come up to secure the slider.

Right now the slide unit is bolted on but not the extension. The motion seems very fluid. In the instructions, they show how to mount it to several other saws, including both the PCS and ICS. The also include some extra parts specifically for the Sawstop.

You are about to become the Harvey spokesperson for the US. Have they approached you with a paid sponsorship?

Their stuff looks great. Looks like it has a shroud around the blade for dust collection. That is a big plus. Thanks for showing off your cool tools.

Blog Entries
    I believe you can just move the large tube over one set of holes and avoid cutting. I have done this on Biesemeyer and Beis-clones in the past. Might be worth a look.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Those Harvey machines do look like they're "a cut above". Nice to have more high quality choices.

Julie

Do you know what the distance from the front of the blade (fully raised) to the front of the table is ?