Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Harvey Alpha HW110S-36 Review

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Dodds View Post
    Hi Julie, hope you're enjoying that nice tablesaw!
    Just a couple of questions, if you don't mind. When you pull the sliding table all the way out to the front of the saw, is there any noticeable side to side play in it?
    Also, if you remove the miter fence from the sliding table, when you re-install the fence does it reference itself perfectly back to 90 degrees, or do you have to play with it a bit?

I haven't noticed any play at all in the sliding table. It's pretty rock solid.

As for installing and removing the slider fence, once it's locked to the miter base, it's been square every time I've checked it. My only issue with the fence is the way it's secured to the base. They provide square head nuts for the track slot on the fence and Allen screws to secure the fence to the base. The square nuts are small enough that they occasionally get jammed in the slot. I sent this info to Harvey to let them know:

As for the sliding table fence issue, my setup measurements:
    Slot on fence - 12.05mm high x 5.04mm wide
    Square nuts - 9.7mm high x 4.92mm wide.
    Measurement at the widest point of the square nut = 12.7mm

There's too much slop there. They said they would look into it. I sent them that info on June 23, 2021 but haven't heard anything back from them since.

What I did was find some 1/4-20 nuts that fit in the slot and drilled out the miter base holes to accommodate 1/4-20 screws. That works just fine for now, except the part of aligning the hex nuts in the slot when putting the fence on. Also, I install and remove the slider fence a lot and looking for a tool every time I do is getting to me. What I'm working on now is replacing the nuts in the slot with T-bolts (the heads will have to be ground down to fit the slot) and using cam handles on the other end.

I've made some other convenience modifications that I'll post later. Gotta take some pictures first.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Hi Julie, thanks for your posts and pictures. I'm thinking about adding a sliding table to my PM66 and really like the features and price of the Harvey unit when compared to the Excalibur and Powermatic sliders. I'm looking forward to seeing the other modifications you mention. I've tried downloading the installation manual from Harvey's website to get a better picture of what you've described above, but of course, the link is broken. Anyway, thanks for taking the time to keep us updated.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Dilyard View Post
    Hi Julie, thanks for your posts and pictures. I'm thinking about adding a sliding table to my PM66 and really like the features and price of the Harvey unit when compared to the Excalibur and Powermatic sliders. I'm looking forward to seeing the other modifications you mention. I've tried downloading the installation manual from Harvey's website to get a better picture of what you've described above, but of course, the link is broken. Anyway, thanks for taking the time to keep us updated.
    I probably should have used the term "carriage" in place of "base" when describing the part that attaches to the sliding table and slider fence. Anyway, here's some images that will hopefully describe the problem better

The yellow lines outline the fence slot where the hex nut I installed slides into the slot. Above that is the factory supplied Allen bolt and square nut.

The slot on the other side of the fence is the same size as the mounting slot. You can see how much the square nut rotates. At times the square nut would rotate enough to jam. On the other end of the carriage (there's three points of connection), the nut sometimes just spun in the slot. Maybe if the corners weren't rounded... But Harvey agreed with me that a T-nut would work better.

As for tool-less removal and adjustment, look at the location of the hex nut - from the center of the nut to the top of the saw table is only 7/16", which makes a cam about the only tool-less means I came up with that would work. I couldn't find any threaded knobs small enough for that space but large enough to get a decent grip for tightening.

Some other convenience modifications

Brackets to mount the included miter gauge and a place to hang the dust shroud for the overarm collector

And a place to keep the slider fence when not in use

I'm working on some drawers for saw blades and router bits, plus any other needed items like GRR-rippers and table saw inserts.

I was seriously looking at a Harvey a few weeks ago when I knew my old saw was going to another home.
    Unfortunately they have no local (Canadian) outlet, and the shipping, customs clearance and brokerage fees killed it in my mind.
    Too bad, they sound like a viable alternative.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Rosenthal View Post
    I was seriously looking at a Harvey a few weeks ago when I knew my old saw was going to another home.
    Unfortunately they have no local (Canadian) outlet, and the shipping, customs clearance and brokerage fees killed it in my mind.
    Too bad, they sound like a viable alternative.
    Give them a call. I did and it saved me several hundred dollars over what they charge if ordered online.

As an example, since I wanted the sliding table I asked them to delete $319 from the cost of the saw and not ship the Compass miter gauge. They took the $319 off the price. But when the saw arrived, the Compass miter gauge was included.

I also said since I was ordering several items together, I wanted another couple hundred dollars off their sale price on the G-700 dust processor. I think they were advertising $2299 for the G-700 at that time. They came down to $1999.

So call them and drive a hard bargain. You never know...

Thanks Julie; I may yet end up doing that.
    Still, not having a Canadian source for spares, plus if I DO someday get a sliding table etc., I’m going to run into the same importation issues.
    And as you said, the modifications you’ve made are extensive so that tells me the saw may need more tweaking than I have the interest in doing. My local saw stop distributor is 4 km away.
    But an 1-800 phone call won’t hurt………
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

You really appreciate all the work that goes into years of personalizing your tools when you decide to duplicate it all at once. But for now, I'm done.

A look at Harvey's router table extension.

Glad I went with this rather than doing a DIY on their extension table. But if I had to do it over, I'd probably cough up the extra money and go with their router fence, too. Had to dig into jig stock to make the Woodpecker fence work.

Needed a place to store, blades, router bits and accessories so I built this setup out of plywood and covered it with black matte Formica.

The slides are 100lb rated, soft close. Tried to find red knurled knobs but all I could find was brass and silver.

Now I can get back to doing stuff.

And the dado set finally has a real home.

Julie:

Your setup looks great. The time you took to plan and fabricate your storage units yielded beautiful results and the integration of the sliding table and router table is impeccable.

I am sure that pieces of wood are lining up outside the garage waiting impatiently for an opportunity to get acquainted with your new tools.

Regards,

Jacques

wow.

impressive set up. the Harvey stuff is tempting. Beautiful mods as well.

thanks for the in-depth review.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    According to the instructions, the front rail needs to be cut to accept the sliding table. I will admit to being apprehensive about this because it can't be undone, but, after looking at this from every way but Sunday...

I ran blue tape around the rail and drew a pencil line to follow.

Tomorrow the bandsaw comes out...
    Did you end up needing to cut the rails?

Thank you, gentlemen.

Jacques, yes, much wood has been reduced in size on that setup and it's a pleasure to work on.

Adam, I have been really impressed with the Harvey equipment I've purchased. I no longer wonder if my equipment is up to the task. Though their prices have risen quite a bit from what I paid, it's still not a bad deal. I would recommend anyone considering purchasing more than one piece from them to call them first and see if you they would offer you a better deal. I was able to save several hundred dollars doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    I have been really impressed with the Harvey equipment I've purchased. I no longer wonder if my equipment is up to the task.
    Thanks for all your information on Harvey I've been saving up funds for a new table saw & the Harvey is one I'm really considering.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    Though their prices have risen quite a bit from what I paid, it's still not a bad deal.
    It seems like the price of everything has sky-rocketed these days!

Doug

14. Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    Thank you, gentlemen.

Jacques, yes, much wood has been reduced in size on that setup and it's a pleasure to work on.

Adam, I have been really impressed with the Harvey equipment I've purchased. I no longer wonder if my equipment is up to the task. Though their prices have risen quite a bit from what I paid, it's still not a bad deal. I would recommend anyone considering purchasing more than one piece from them to call them first and see if you they would offer you a better deal. I was able to save several hundred dollars doing this.
    Hi Julie, took your advice and reached out to them. Torn between the Alpha 3HP and a SawStop. I really like some of the features of the Harvey with the one exception that I would need to build a base similar to what you did. Would you mind sharing in detail a bit more about the support you built for the Sliding Side table?

Thank you in advance and for the excellent write up you already provided.
    Charles

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Vochatzer View Post
    Hi Julie, took your advice and reached out to them. Torn between the Alpha 3HP and a SawStop. I really like some of the features of the Harvey with the one exception that I would need to build a base similar to what you did. Would you mind sharing in detail a bit more about the support you built for the Sliding Side table?

Thank you in advance and for the excellent write up you already provided.
    Charles
    Take a look at post #19. I used the legs that came with the slider for support. One had to be cut and rethread. Other materials used were Unistrut angle brackets and cap screws and washers. With two brackets at each end of the legs, I was able to pivot the legs into place and make adjustments to get the slider on plane with the table. There's another picture that might help in post #34.

While it might have been easier to add a mobile base extension like on the other side, the slider could come out of plane with the table on anything but a perfectly level floor. Mine is in a garage and the floor is pitched for drainage forcing me to support the slider off the mobile base.

Hope this helps...