Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shop compressed air pressure setting?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Shop compressed air pressure setting?

Having just completed my compressed air piping installation I have to come up with a pressure setting for it. I was thinking of using 90 psi, the minimum required for the highest pressure device (pneumatic drawbar for Bridgeport mill) to eliminate at least one pressure reducing valve. Most of the other stations scattered around the shop are for air nozzles and pneumatic operated tools. The drawbar is only occasionally used so cycling shouldn't be an issue, especially considering there is almost 200 gallons of tank capacitiy. What pressure setting do you use for shop air?

80 PSI.

125 at compressor for air tools.

I have my compressor and air lines set at 125psi, IIRC. I use an in-line regulator to reduce the pressure running to my cnc router.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    130 to 135 if you had ever seen the aftermath from a air tank exploding , well i turned mine down alot after seeing that video .

90 psi is what I use unless I am blowing out a filter at which time I reduce it drastically.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Tank runs up to 175 psi, main regulator is set at 110 psi, secondary regulators in shop and garage set as needed, max 110 psi.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    Having just completed my compressed air piping installation I have to come up with a pressure setting for it. I was thinking of using 90 psi, the minimum required for the highest pressure device (pneumatic drawbar for Bridgeport mill) to eliminate at least one pressure reducing valve. Most of the other stations scattered around the shop are for air nozzles and pneumatic operated tools. The drawbar is only occasionally used so cycling shouldn't be an issue, especially considering there is almost 200 gallons of tank capacitiy. What pressure setting do you use for shop air?
    I set my secondary regulator to 90 psi. So far that has been good for shop use and for working on farm/construction equipment. I have a least one tool that indicates 90 psi MAXIMUM.

IIRC, the primary regulator/pressure switch on my 5hp/60gal compressor came set to around 160 psi. I lowered it about 140psi.

200 gallon tank? That's large for a shop tank. Might be good to have it professionally inspected/tested occasionally. I once worked as an inspector for a gov facility and we tested most tanks large with hydrostatic testing. If a tank under hydrostatic testing ruptures it simply leaks. If a pressure tank under air pressure ruptures someone can be killed. For testing with compressed air we lowered the tanks into an underground bunker with heavy steel plates on the top!

John,

Of the tanks you lowered into a bunker, did any rupture?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zona View Post
    John,

Of the tanks you lowered into a bunker, did any rupture?
    Not while I worked there, no failures with any of the three testing methods they used. Most inspection was visual, hydro, and halide leak treating. Testing with pressurize air was rare and a big deal - all work in that area stopped and anyone not involved was cleared out.

BTW, one interesting pressurized gas they had in large quantities was fluorine, used there to make uranium hexifloride. The periodic safety training included a demonstration of what would happen if fluorine gas leaked and contacted skin. A strip of bacon exposed to fluorine burst onto flames! That always got everyone’s attention.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I set my secondary regulator to 90 psi. So far that has been good for shop use and for working on farm/construction equipment. I have a least one tool that indicates 90 psi MAXIMUM.

IIRC, the primary regulator/pressure switch on my 5hp/60gal compressor came set to around 160 psi. I lowered it about 140psi.

200 gallon tank? That's large for a shop tank. Might be good to have it professionally inspected/tested occasionally. I once worked as an inspector for a gov facility and we tested most tanks large with hydrostatic testing. If a tank under hydrostatic testing ruptures it simply leaks. If a pressure tank under air pressure ruptures someone can be killed. For testing with compressed air we lowered the tanks into an underground bunker with heavy steel plates on the top!
    I was wrong about the overall tank or storage capacity. It's probably closer to 150 not 200 gallons. One compressor has a 60 gallon tank and the other 80. The remaining storage is in the piping itself. I always leave one compressor turned on auto but will in the future power down when not in the shop. The possibility of a relief valve malfunctioning never occurred to me. I also never gave it a thought about a tank rupturing. Fortunately the final location of both compressors will be in an area partially enclosed by concrete block walls with one wall open to the outside. It's also the area where my dust collector is located. Hopefully if a rupture does occur the force will be directed away from the shop interior.

Thanks for all of the input. I never considered shutting down the compressor when away from the shop or the effects of a tank rupture. Good thing I raised my original question.

Running it above 125 or so is a waste of money and reduces continous flow rate. Regulate for a max psi slightly above the desired pressure then adjust pulley size so the pump runs faster but the motor is not working any harder then at the previous higher pressure.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Running it above 125 or so is a waste of money and reduces continous flow rate. Regulate for a max psi slightly above the desired pressure then adjust pulley size so the pump runs faster but the motor is not working any harder then at the previous higher pressure.
    Bill D
    I'm not sure it wastes money. Higher tank pressure is a way to increase the tanks holding capacity without increasing size. We have a Dewalt that runs the tank pressure at 225, but line max is 125. It's works as well as a bigger tank machine in high use jobs like roofing.

Although I only have a pancake unit which is always turned on, I'm going home tonight and turning it off after reading this thread!!!
    A wannabe woodworker!

Higher pressure does save money by using a smaller, cheaper tank size. But all that energy to compress the air above the final use pressure is wasted as soon as it goes through a regulator.
    Bill D
    PS: a two stage pump saves energy at around 5 hp.

In large systems with multiple compressors, they use storage tanks at higher pressure so the extra capacity will smooth out the high demand peaks. They do this as an alternative to buying a new compressor and can sometimes allow you to turn off a compressor. This only works if you have a cyclic demand for air. You still have to have enough compressor to handle the base load and build tank storage during the low demand times.

I have done this on several systems when I worked as plant engineer in foundries. Foundries use a lot of compressed air.