Thread: Old huge router - keep? Or look for something else?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Old huge router - keep? Or look for something else?

Hi. Complete noob here. Getting ready to retire in less than a year and I want to start playing around with woodworking. I had never used a router until this weekend so I really mean NOOB. I have a nice little trim router that I recently bought, and I am just learning how to use it - it's pretty cool. :-) I mentioned to my BF that I was looking at router tables online and that I might build one. He said if I was going to do that I really should just use a full size router and leave it in the table, and he had a router that I could have. I thought - hmm...nice. Well he went out to the barn and finally dug out this big case and brought it out to me. We opened it, and yup it's a router. He has never used it - I think he may have loaned out out once or twice but that's about it. He isn't into woodworking (he's more of a car guy) but someone gave it to him as a gift, many years ago, and he just kept it. But here is the thing - this router is HUGE. And I think it is pretty old. So I am just wondering if it is worth even trying to use. I mean, would it make sense to spend the effort to build a table for this thing? Or should I just say thanks but never mind and give it back, and get my own router, when I am ready.
    I'm not sure what features may be missing on it - I don't think this is one that the base comes off of, so not sure it can be used as a plunge router. But I think a fixed base is what I would need for a table mounted one anyway.

This is the router (I found a couple of them for sale on eBay) so that you can see what I am talking about.
    eBay item# 265028771055

Appreciate any advice or thoughts.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 04-20-2021 at 1:20 PM. Reason: Removed ebay link per TOS