Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dust collection piping ceiling mounting questions

Dust collection piping ceiling mounting questions

Moved residences and my shop recently. Before, I used 5" metal hvac ductwork on an 8 ft ceiling in a 280 sq ft shop. Worked great. Now have a shop that's over 900 sq ft and a 10 ft ceiling. Was looking at Unistrut channel for mounting ductwork on ceiling as i can move brackets back and forth in the channel to make things align to the drops to the machines. I don't find a Unistrut accessory that handles 5" or 6" ductwork. Is there one out there that I'm not finding? Anybody use unistrut for their ductwork? I found 10 ft lengths of aluminum channel 1 5/8" x 13x/16" for $31. Not too bad as I shouldn't need very much of it. Planning on using thin wall PVC this time. Found the piping in 20 ft thin wall sections locally but not thin wall 45 degree angles and couplers. They are all schedule 40 from what I find. Does anybody know if they make thin wall connectors and 45s to go along with the straight sections? Randy
    Randy Cox
    Lt Colonel, USAF (ret.)

For the unistrut, use a spring nut (I think that is what it is called?) that has a threaded hole in it. Then use a hook or eye bolt with the same threads as the spring nut to hold whatever strapping you want to use for the duct support. Or, you can use the metal plumbing strap that has holes in it and use a hex bolt to fasten that to the spring nut. I think there are also some long zip ties available for duct supports that could be attached to the hook or eye bolt. Maybe this gives you some ideas?

As for the ducting, there are limits and work arounds needed if you go plastic. If you go metal, there are a lot more options for fittings, adapters, etc, and you can do odd sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by Randall J Cox View Post
    I don't find a Unistrut accessory that handles 5" or 6" ductwork. Is there one out there that I'm not finding? Anybody use unistrut for their ductwork?
    Though I've only installed conduit up to 4" using Unistrut straps, they make straps that will hold pipe up to 8.5" diameter.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Randall J Cox View Post
    Planning on using thin wall PVC this time. Found the piping in 20 ft thin wall sections locally but not thin wall 45 degree angles and couplers. They are all schedule 40 from what I find. Does anybody know if they make thin wall connectors and 45s to go along with the straight sections? Randy
    Yes. You are looking for D-2729 or SDR35 connectors for fit your D-2729 thin wall sewer and drain pipe. You do not want Schedule 40 as the dimensions are different. A store that sells drainage and irrigation pipe will carry this, most standard plumbing shops do not. Lowes and Home Depot sometimes have it. Better bets, depending on the region of the country you're in, include Menard's, Tractor Supply, SiteOne Landscape Supply, Fergusson Waterworks. Online stores selling the connectors include McMaster-Carr and Drainage Solutions.

Blog Entries
    Check the weight of 10' of 6" PVC. Given the weight I plan to use shop made brackets and metal strapping this time around.

Duct Hanger-4.jpg

This will get me pretty tight to the 10' ceiling. My lighting will hang just below to avoid shadowing. With at least 2 hangers per section (probably 3 where a full 10' section is used) and hangers at junction points for the additional weight of fittings, the distributed load is pretty manageable. The metal strap is inexpensive and can be cut to length requirements.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I got my 6" DWV PVC 45s from Amazon and wyes from Menard's. Menard's has 45s, too. PVC works great, you won't regret it.

Unistrut on the ceiling is a pretty good idea. I wouldn't overthink how to connect the piping to the strut, though. The pipe assembly is quite light in the end and won't require anything industrial-strength to hold it up. I'm using plastic plumbing strap screwed into the rafters, works fine.

Rain for Rent lost a lawsuit and was unloading some used pipe at good prices.
    Bill D

https://www.rainforrent.com/clearance-sale/
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 04-20-2021 at 10:54 AM.

I am using 12” pvc in my system with a large 10hp dust collector. Just a tip, but if you use 6” DWV pipe you can use standard HVAC wyes, tee’s, elbows, ect. Much cheaper and the elbows give you some degree of adjustability that you won’t get with pvc fittings. Those fittings will slip right onto the PVC. The male ends should slip over the PVC and the crimped ends should go inside.

I am using these fittings in my system but for the large PVC 12” irrigation pipe my 12” HVAC fittings don’t slip into or over the pipe like using 6” DWV would. So my only options are to buy the ubber expensive 12” PVC couplers (which I can get for $38.50 each before tax) or I can attempt to use a heat gun to soften the PVC so that the crimped ends will slip into the pipe and then I would only need couplers for the male ends.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Check the weight of 10' of 6" PVC. Given the weight I plan to use shop made brackets and metal strapping this time around.

Duct Hanger-4.jpg

This will get me pretty tight to the 10' ceiling. My lighting will hang just below to avoid shadowing. With at least 2 hangers per section (probably 3 where a full 10' section is used) and hangers at junction points for the additional weight of fittings, the distributed load is pretty manageable. The metal strap is inexpensive and can be cut to length requirements.

I hung 6" metal duct from my shop walls and ceiling with big zip ties. Drill a pilot hole in tie and secure to joist or stud with a drywall screw. Secure and cheap. Works greatFE2E87CD-5846-4248-A057-F616C35478A6_1_201_a.jpg

Thank you all. Lots of good ideas, info and suggestions! Randy
    Randy Cox
    Lt Colonel, USAF (ret.)

I am using uninstructed with spring nuts and threaded bolt to attach hangers I purchased from blastegate.com 8FDC0296-1F08-44E2-887E-D7328AB7886F.jpgC5FA14F6-8FD4-46A6-85CD-CDED934663DF.jpg

Gave wrong address in previous post, I purchased my hangers from blastgateco.com Here is a better photo of unistrut with hanger setup

BDBC64C3-D844-4F53-8116-440C697CAE9F.jpg

I made my own "corbels(?)" to hang my DC pipe. The corbels were pieces of 2x2 and I used metal plumbers strapping from HD.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....me-DC-progress
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I made hangers that used cable ties.

o6b4l53.jpg

o6b4o79.jpg

I prioritize headroom. My small shop has 97" which allows me to stand up 8' sheet goods. Turning a sheet over requires less space that way, and storage is easier.