Thread: Pattern Orientation on Plywood

Question Pattern Orientation on Plywood

For patterns cut from plywood, 3/4" in this case does the orientation of the part matter? Is there any strength lost or gained having the ply orient one way or another.

Depends:

Can you supply more information?

If the output will be clear coated and there will be multiple pieces that will appear together, logically, one would want the veneer grain to be consistent on the parts. If the output will be painted, hidden or you otherwise do not care about appearance, there is no reason why you cannot place and cut the parts in whatever orientation results in the least waste. This is 100% a visual question when it comes to plywood.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The plywood is just BCX that I plan to thin coat with an epoxy for an outdoor planter.

Space10.jpg

My machine is a 4x4ft. table. I downloaded these free plans and some pieces cross the 4ft. mark. Instead of "tiling' the cut, if I just rotate the large pieces I don't need to tile.

Sheet2.jpg

I wasn't sure if it was intentional, the orientation, or if the layout guy/gal was lazy or just had money to burn. I wasn't sure if it was desirable to have the plys cross hatch.

Anthony, Love that ‘round-rise’ building....would like to see some little people on those terraces.

I don't see any reason not to just nest them the most efficient way. direction of the grain wont make any difference ,