Thread: Wabi Sabi - The Beauty of Irregularity

Blog Entries

Wabi Sabi - The Beauty of Irregularity

Hi,

I thought some of you may enjoy reading this writing regarding beauty of irregular. This writing seems to apply to much of the current furniture building by craftspeople movement.

It's a short read. The author finds himself falling in love with actual imperfection (how he perceives "actual" anyway) versus forced imperfection or perfection. He uses the example of Korean turned bowls versus the Japanese tea ceremony hardware.

This is just a short excerpt from the book, The Unknown Craftsman.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oaK...ew?usp=sharing

Food for thought

Cheers,

Blog Entries
    Apparently one needs access for your link....
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    Oh no! I'll try to fix

It is a wonderful book if you are fond of the Japanese aesthetic. Personally I think that that aesthetic is the most beautiful and most sophisticated in the world (that I know of). -Howard

Blog Entries
    I have a lot of respect for the design and style, but it is not my favorite. I actually think the simplicity and perfection is overdone / over the top. The short writing mentions how the Koreans are actually better at creating the perfectly imperfect than the Japanese since the Koreans do not force the issue, but come to it naturally (by using 'green' wood in the lathe).

I personally think the designs and culture seem overly restrictive instead of being simple in a more loving or natural way. if that makes sense.