Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deck sealer. Olympic or Thompsons?

Deck sealer. Olympic or Thompsons?

Had a new pressure treated wood deck installed year before last. It was manufactured with a clear coating already applied and still beading up last year.
    Going to reseal this year. Just want something clear. May give some color down the road in two or three years.

The contractor who installed the deck recommended Olympic brand. I am confused between the two kinds.

Olympic water guard clear wood sealer.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Olympic-...I-01/305542042

Olympic water guard Multi surface.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Olympic-...I-01/305542040

The Multi surface is appealing because I plan to seal some concrete at the same time and it is cheaper per gallon. But is the wood sealer better at $4.00 more per gallon?

What about Thompsons?
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Thompson-s-...-oz/1000183887
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Thompsons is basically wax. Prevents any future staining of wood. Not my first choice in this application. We use it on treated plywood roofs on portable sheds, so as to not add weight. These buildings are shipped in the flat to fair grounds for use with Campers on Mission State Fair Ministry. Shingles would more than double weight of roof section, which has to be manually lifted into place.

Everyone will probably have their favorite. I used Thompson’s for years. My experience was that it did a good job, but seemed to attract dust/dirt...I don’t know, maybe in the heat the wax softens and dirt sticks. Recently, I tried Flood clear and so far like it a lot. Still needs to be cleaned and reapplied every two years or so. I have no experience with Olympic.

I've used both, and found little difference in performance. Thompsons has the name recognition.

I use Flood in their cedar tone. In my climate it works better than Olympic or Thomson's. Anything you choose will need a repeat application every couple of years on horizontal surfaces and about every 4-6 years on vertical surfaces. I don't strip the deck between coats but make sure the surface is clean before applying a fresh coat.

Blog Entries
    I've had issues with Thompson's. If applied thick enough to provide more than a few weeks of protection, then it leaves a sticky, waxy film that does indeed attract dirt. If applied thin enough to not be sticky then it looks and feels great, but in a matter of days begins to just go away & a few weeks later is pretty well gone. I'm referring to the original. I've not used their newer products.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Strauss View Post
    I use Flood in their cedar tone. In my climate it works better than Olympic or Thomson's. Anything you choose will need a repeat application every couple of years on horizontal surfaces and about every 4-6 years on vertical surfaces. I don't strip the deck between coats but make sure the surface is clean before applying a fresh coat.

I second Flood, CWF. Nasty smell when applying but works well. Friend of mine has a house clad in cedar. When installed it was coated with CWF and about every 3 or 4 years it gets pressure washed and recoated. 20some years old and still looks great.

8. Can you apply Flood over a deck previously treated with Thompsons?

Neither. I would use SuperDeck. I went the Thomson route years ago and less than 2 years it was like I never did it. I then tried SuperDeck based from advice a deck contractor gave me and it was a day and night difference. Was still working great when I sold that home 5 years later. My current deck is hardwood and requires a different version that I haven't gotten around to yet. The company, DuckBack was bought out by Sherwin Williams. They still sell the same formula but they also have several other versions of their own sealer. I think you can still buy the DuckBack brand.

Sikkens .

No Sikkens on my wood. Penofin.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Thanks for the recommendation of the Flood product. Unaware of of that brand but the reviews look good.

What is your experience. Does it dry clear or does it have a shine kinda like poly?

Also is it oil or water based? Reviews are mixed as is the description on Home Depot web page. Maybe it comes Water or oil????
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Yes, Flood does leave a bit of a sheen (at least the clear), not as glossy as lots of coats of poly, but a definite sheen. I do put it on fairly liberally though. I will tell you, it can leave lap lines. I wasn’t very careful rolling it on the first time, and I had a kind of checkerboard pattern after it dried. It fades away with time, but it’s something I didn’t have back when I used Thompsons. Full disclosure; my deck is at a cabin, probably 30 year old pressure treated lumber, with a good amount of character from overzealous power washing. So I’m really more concerned with protection and longevity, than beautiful looks.

14. Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    Neither. I would use SuperDeck. I went the Thomson route years ago and less than 2 years it was like I never did it. I then tried SuperDeck based from advice a deck contractor gave me and it was a day and night difference. Was still working great when I sold that home 5 years later. My current deck is hardwood and requires a different version that I haven't gotten around to yet. The company, DuckBack was bought out by Sherwin Williams. They still sell the same formula but they also have several other versions of their own sealer. I think you can still buy the DuckBack brand.
    Alex, did you use the Elastomeric or the Cool Feel Technology?

I stained decks , for several years. My go to was Armstrong Clark stain. For my dollar, this is the best stain on the market.
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt