Thread: This is why I use liquid hide glue

This is why I use liquid hide glue

I'm in the process of building a storage cabinet for the kitchen. 44" wide by 72" tall, 4 sections, 2 up and 2 down with 3 slide out trays each and 2 drawers in the middle. Hickory veneered plywood for the sides and shelves/top/bottom with solid Hickory for the face frames, doors, etc. Using Hickory to match the existing cabinets.

Assembled the carcass ok. The rails and center stile went in fine, but when I glued the outside stiles on (after 3 or 4 dry assemblies for fitting) evidently one of the Dominos on the left stile hung up and I didn't notice the problem until I heard the crack as I was clamping it down. By that point it was too late and I figured I'd look it over after the glue cured and see if it could be salvaged. It couldn't. It would have to be replaced. This is why I use liquid hide glue.

Used the track saw to cut off all but 1/16" of the stile, didn't want to risk cutting any of the plywood side. Then by applying water and an iron to the thin slice of hickory left I was able to safely pry it off. Tomorrow I'll get a new board and mill a new stile.

If I'd used one of the pva glues I'm not sure how I could have saved the project so easily. Sometimes I need all the help I can get.

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

Then there is the long open time and the fact that it does not slop when cured. Easier cleanup too

And it is easier to scrape from inside corners when dry. And if you accidentally don't quite get all of it off, it is less finish-phobic than PVAs.

I guess I am missing something.

With my table saw I bet I could have cut off the bad part within a couple thousandths of an inch.

Seems like you are indicating that if using a track saw one cannot cut to the tolerances of a stationary saw. Perhaps then glue type matters.

Don't think it would for me though...maybe I am missing something?
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

I think the point isn’t about tolerance of the cut or the type of saw to use but rather that liquid hide glue facilitates easy removal of the remaining fragment of the stile.

Bill,

The cabinet is 44" wide by 18" deep by 72" high. Not an easy or safe thing to try to cut on a table saw. Not to mention that you'd be sliding on the Hickory plywood side and risking scratches. By cutting it 1/16" proud I was guaranteed to be able to get to the original edge of the plywood with no chance of accidentally cutting too much.

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

Thanks for the clarification Cliff.

I misunderstood what you situation was obviously!
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!