Thread: Should I keep my corded compact (Makita)fixed base router or sell it?

Should I keep my corded compact (Makita)fixed base router or sell it?

I bought a Makita compact router set that came with a fixed and plunge base. (RT0701CX )
    My plan was to sell the fixed base & the motor and keep the plunge base.

The plunge base fits my cordless compact Makita - so - my plan was to keep the plunge base and sell the fixed base along with the corded router.
    A year ago when I bought it,buying the combo and selling the corded fixed base cost me about $10 less than just buying the plunge base.
    The price of the combo set is about $25 more than it was back then - but - the price of the fixed bast router is the same.

I also have a corded DeWalt 611PK combo - which makes having another corded compact combo redundant.

I'm thinking that:

- I can sell the Makita corded fixed base router - keeping the plunge base and make a few bucks.

- I can keep the Makitas - all of them -and sell the DeWalt.

- I can keep all of them - just because - having a bunch of routers is always a good thing.

Money isn't an issue - but - having stuff I'm not using a lot laying around is an issue.
    (We plan to move later this year & we are thinning out the crap we have to move)
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post

- I can keep all of them - just because - having a bunch of routers is always a good thing.
    Do this.

Having a bunch of routers is a really nice thing to have. I have a few that I keep bits in so I can just grab them and know they're ready to go - things like roundouver bits, dovetail bits, etc.

I would have to get pretty good money to give up a router I already owned.

I am the wrong one to ask as I don't like routers
    I have 4 Bosch trim routers, 1 PC trim router, 4 PC 690's, Makita 2 1/2hp? plunge router, 2 PC 100's, B&D 1st router I bought and a Ryobi trim router
    gave away 2 Ryobi plunge routers to a newbie starting out along with a a three wheel bandsaw and a dovetail jig
    Bosch trim routers from late 80's-90's when doing commercial laminate work
    plunge router from 80's for mortises
    PC 690's 2 years ago bought a Leigh 1285 dovetail jig and the 690's came soon after
    others just because a good deal or ?

How would you sell it. I doubt it would be worth the hassle of no shows and random texts/calls emails to wade through. My wife will not let me sell things from the house buyer must meet in a public location.

Actually that's a pretty desirable router without either base. It's used by hobby CNC routers. It sells for about $100 with the fixed base (which isn't needed for a CNC router) new with free shipping. I would think you could sell it but you would need to be at least $25 with shipping less than the price of a new one. You could try selling it on ebay for more. I'm currently trying to decide if I want to get the Makita or go with a water cooled spindle.

I'd keep it. Often, I find having multiple routers setup for different operations/profiles a time and aggravation saver. If money isn't a problem, for me, the value of having it far outweighs the money you'd be able to net.

Help a new woodworker get started. When I upgrade & determine a tool is no longer needed - I gift it.

Ok - thanks for all the input!

I decided to keep the corded Makita fixed base, and put a track saw adapter plate on it.

My nephew is in vocational school to become a welder. I'll hang onto the DeWalt for the time being.
    Maybe he'll take up woodworking in addition to working with the metal.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...