Thread: Should I keep my corded compact (Makita)fixed base router or sell it?

Should I keep my corded compact (Makita)fixed base router or sell it?

I bought a Makita compact router set that came with a fixed and plunge base. (RT0701CX )
    My plan was to sell the fixed base & the motor and keep the plunge base.

The plunge base fits my cordless compact Makita - so - my plan was to keep the plunge base and sell the fixed base along with the corded router.
    A year ago when I bought it,buying the combo and selling the corded fixed base cost me about $10 less than just buying the plunge base.
    The price of the combo set is about $25 more than it was back then - but - the price of the fixed bast router is the same.

I also have a corded DeWalt 611PK combo - which makes having another corded compact combo redundant.

I'm thinking that:

- I can sell the Makita corded fixed base router - keeping the plunge base and make a few bucks.

- I can keep the Makitas - all of them -and sell the DeWalt.

- I can keep all of them - just because - having a bunch of routers is always a good thing.

Money isn't an issue - but - having stuff I'm not using a lot laying around is an issue.
    (We plan to move later this year & we are thinning out the crap we have to move)
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post

- I can keep all of them - just because - having a bunch of routers is always a good thing.
    Do this.

Having a bunch of routers is a really nice thing to have. I have a few that I keep bits in so I can just grab them and know they're ready to go - things like roundouver bits, dovetail bits, etc.

I would have to get pretty good money to give up a router I already owned.

I am the wrong one to ask as I don't like routers
    I have 4 Bosch trim routers, 1 PC trim router, 4 PC 690's, Makita 2 1/2hp? plunge router, 2 PC 100's, B&D 1st router I bought and a Ryobi trim router
    gave away 2 Ryobi plunge routers to a newbie starting out along with a a three wheel bandsaw and a dovetail jig
    Bosch trim routers from late 80's-90's when doing commercial laminate work
    plunge router from 80's for mortises
    PC 690's 2 years ago bought a Leigh 1285 dovetail jig and the 690's came soon after
    others just because a good deal or ?

How would you sell it. I doubt it would be worth the hassle of no shows and random texts/calls emails to wade through. My wife will not let me sell things from the house buyer must meet in a public location.

Actually that's a pretty desirable router without either base. It's used by hobby CNC routers. It sells for about $100 with the fixed base (which isn't needed for a CNC router) new with free shipping. I would think you could sell it but you would need to be at least $25 with shipping less than the price of a new one. You could try selling it on ebay for more. I'm currently trying to decide if I want to get the Makita or go with a water cooled spindle.

I'd keep it. Often, I find having multiple routers setup for different operations/profiles a time and aggravation saver. If money isn't a problem, for me, the value of having it far outweighs the money you'd be able to net.

Help a new woodworker get started. When I upgrade & determine a tool is no longer needed - I gift it.

Ok - thanks for all the input!

I decided to keep the corded Makita fixed base, and put a track saw adapter plate on it.

My nephew is in vocational school to become a welder. I'll hang onto the DeWalt for the time being.
    Maybe he'll take up woodworking in addition to working with the metal.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon