Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deep Scratch on a Brand New Plane Sole

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Llewyllson View Post
    (but don't buy "C" models for active use, as that was not a useful gimmick).

Cheers,

Jack
    Jack,

I respectfully disagree. I have a LN 7 but bought a barely used Stanley 8C at an estate sale only because they offered it at a price I couldn’t refuse. My intent was to sell it for a hefty profit, but I tuned it and used it to flatten some very wide glued tops, a task which I had always used my 7. Although the 8 weighs almost 2 pounds more, it was easier to push, which I assume is because of the corrugations in the sole. The end result was the same as using the 7, but less fatiguing. I don’t use it for jointing edges and doubt the corrugations translate as well to other size planes and tasks, but for this I will always use my 8C. A specialized plane? Yeah, but I decided to keep it.

I don't see much difference between my 5c and my 5, but saying not to buy a corrugated sole for an active user seems misleading. They may not be "better" but mine work just a well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mayock View Post
    Naturally on the first project with the tool I somehow managed to get a deep scratch in the sole of the plane (see attached).
    To borrow from Crocodile Dundee, that's not a scratch, this is a scratch.

When I asked LN for options, they agreed to take care of it at no cost if it could be done by hand, or it would cost $35 if they had to use the grinder.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kreinhop View Post
    To borrow from Crocodile Dundee, that's not a scratch, this is a scratch.

When I asked LN for options, they agreed to take care of it at no cost if it could be done by hand, or it would cost $35 if they had to use the grinder.
    Did you have it fixed Mike? How did it turn out?
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Did you have it fixed Mike? How did it turn out?
    I fixed it myself and there is an image of the restored sole in the thread I linked. The process was easy, just time consuming. If I lived in the U.S., I would have sent it back to LN for repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kreinhop View Post
    I fixed it myself and there is an image of the restored sole in the thread I linked. The process was easy, just time consuming. If I lived in the U.S., I would have sent it back to LN for repair.
    Yup. There sure was. I shoulda paged down. Thanks Mike.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Yup. LN's customer service (like Lee Valley's) is top-notch. I've had similar experiences with them.