Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steady rests

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    ...If you have time I suggest you buy an inexpensive welder - it comes in handy for many projects. ...
    I strongly agree. My first welder (the inexpensive Weld Pak 100 from Home Depot a few decades ago) made it SO much easier to make, fix, and connect many things. I wish I hadn't waited so long and I should have known better as I had been a welding inspector years ago.

Like you, I eventually got better welders (I'm up to four now - MIG, TIG, AC/DC stick, acetylene - and, yippie, a plasma cutter to go with them!). I kept the inexpensive wire welder because of it's easy portability: it plugs into 110v and can be carried by the handle and transported in a trunk of a car.

For those who haven't tried it, welding with an inexpensive wire welder using flux core wire is extremely easy to learn, almost like drawing with a marker. The flux in the wire eliminates the need to use a tank of shielding gas. The major tradeoff is there can be a lot more spatter but it is easily cleaned up.

The basics of what it takes to prepare the steel and make a strong weld can be learned from an inexpensive book. I suspect there are YouTube videos too...

A couple of shop-related things welders have helped with:
    A hand saw that uses scroll saw blades
    saw.jpg
    Building the shop itself, tacking rebar for the back room floor
    concrete_rebar.jpg

JKJ

John,
    Looks like you are having lots of fun!