Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutting board for whole hog

Cutting board for whole hog

A customer contacted me and wanted a 4.5 foot x 2 foot whole hog cutting board that was 2 inches thick with the main body being mostly made up of solid pieces. When I asked she said he does competition cookouts and they usually try to average between 60 and 70 pound hog. I was able to get a 2 inch slab of Sapello that I can cut in half to get the length and will be using hickory and walnut as a middle stripe that she asked for. With a cutting board of this size I worry about glue being enough. Since I don’t have Access to a domino tool I am torn between using large dowel rods in the center or finding someway to put a piece of stainless steel all thread in several places and using plugs to cover the ends. I do have a biscuit joiner but I don’t know if this would really add any strength in the way I’m looking for it would be great for lining up the boards but I’m not sure it will add that much strength to keep the boards together. Has anyone ever done this type of board or do you have any recommendations.

Pre drill each section to be laminated for a full width threaded rod. Countersink each outer edge for a washer and nut assembly.

Stainless is recommend for 'wet use" but might not be affordable.

If the stainless gets wet, the board is already splitting and cracking....I would think any 304 stainless should work. Kinda heavy cutting board....I calculate 60 lbs.

+1 on Jims idea.
    Jim, I'm a FL resident now but I am a New Bedford boy.

Well that will be the mother of all cutting boards.

Trying to reinforce a wide board with metal is a recipe for failure. When the cutting board swells in the Summer humidity those rods are going to resist and the board will bow or the washers and nuts will compress into the wood and offer no benefit next year. Use waterproof glue; all will be fine.

John

Blog Entries
    I agree on the all thread. But why hide the nuts? Check out Old West Iron.
    https://www.oldwestiron.com/
    they have some washers and cap nuts that look hand forged.

I made one just slightly larger out of maple. Boards were two inch thick that I ripped to 2.5". Turned the strips so the cutting board was 2.5" thick & just glued them together. It has been over five years & still going strong. No splitting or cracking.

I think if I was worried about a glued face joint not being strong enough I would do a simple tongue and groove joint.

There's absolutely no reason gluing and clamping a simple long grain joint wouldn't be sufficient. That's how they're done. Biscuits don't add any strength.

Quote Originally Posted by John Jardin View Post
    +1 on Jims idea.
    Jim, I'm a FL resident now but I am a New Bedford boy.
    Bigger fish than the OP hogs get rendered on picnic tables at the State pier!

Thanks all I’m going to just use glue you all convinced me but like I said never done this one this big needed some encouragement you guys rock
    Last edited by Gary roebuck; 04-17-2021 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Spelling

As some of the responders said I would NOT use any threaded rod. Adds a whole deal of expense and complexity to the job, and as John TenEcyk says it could compromise the stability of the piece.

At most I might use Titebond III waterproof glue, but mostly take care to joint the pieces perfectly before you glue them together.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    There's absolutely no reason gluing and clamping a simple long grain joint wouldn't be sufficient. That's how they're done. Biscuits don't add any strength.
    Totally agree with Johnny. Dominos can help with alignment but I just glue a couple of pieces together at a time. I use regular yellow glue.

I made an end grain cherry cutting board for a friend in CT. A few years later we went to visit her and I found the cutting board in pieces, sitting in a box in the garage. The glue I had used was Titebond II. She said the pieces came apart after a few months.

To put it back together I went with Gorilla glue. That was several years ago and last I checked it was still holding together fine.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain