Thread: Woodmaster Drum Sander

Woodmaster Drum Sander

Hopefully this is a quick question. I have a 26 inch Woodmaster Drum Sander. I am having to replace the Velcro on the drum. I ordered a replacement from Woodmaster. Today I am taking the old Velcro off and that is a major chore, but my question is what is the best solvent to use to take off all of the old glue that is left on the drum. The rep told me to use Denatured Alcohol to clean the drum before placing the new Velcro on but I did not really think to asl what was the best way to remove the old glue. The old glue is the adhesive that comes on the Velcro. Any ideas what is the best or easiest way to remove it. Thanks in advance.

Wade, I have the same machine. I was told to use paint stripper, the answer didn’t sound to appealing then, so needless to say I never have replaced the Velcro. Maybe one of those citrus goop remover would do the trick,i so seldom use the machine replacement hasn’t been a priority.
    Last edited by Robert LaPlaca; 04-17-2021 at 12:31 PM.

Goo gone in the metal can squirt a little on small sections allow it to sit and use plastic putty knife to scrape took about an hour but drum was clean as a whistle. Just make sure to clean with with Alcohol to remove any residue so the new pad sticks

I haven’t used it on anything as large as your drum but Goof Off works well at removing adhesive. Safety precautions (gloves, eye protection, ventilation) should be taken, and the conveyor mat protected from drips.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I replaced the Velcro on my 26" Woodmaster. I got off what I could, trying all the various solvents I had (forgetting which worked best, but would guess Goof Off). When the bulk was gone, nothing that would make bumps on the velcro, I cleaned it with alcohol. I wrapped 4" velcro I already had in the shop and it's staying together fine. Remember to tape the ends of the rollers so the Velcro doesn't unwrap.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stelts View Post
    Remember to tape the ends of the rollers so the Velcro doesn't unwrap.
    Tape the ends? No one said anything about that and I did not see any on the drum. Did you use something like Duct Tape or something else?

The Velcro on my drum isn't taped but it's not a bad idea. I always tape the ends of the paper down with a couple wraps of 1" strapping tape.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I use the same strapping tape on the sandpaper and the velcro. If I don't put it on the velcro, the sandpaper pulls up the end of the velcro.

I think any non-aqueous solvent would work. Mineral spirits, alcohol or acetone. Lots of ventilation and a mask...

Robert I have gotten where I use mine a lot. Saves a lot of time sanding which I hate and it works great on those occasions where I get talked into making endgrain cutting boards.

I ended up using Denatured Alcohol, rags and scotch Brite sanding pads. Took a lot of elbow grease and a couple of hours but it is back up and running. Normally I do not think it would take so long but i had several areas where some run pushed the machine to hard and burned some areas so those were really hard to do. But it is now done and I was able to get all the wood sanded for the new floor bed I am building for my Granddaughter.

Wade I have the 38" and have replaced it twice I used Lacquer thinner did the trick but its not fun putting the new one back on.

Wade,

I have the Shop Fox 26" double drum sander.

Use lacquer thinner to remove the old velcro and tape the ends with 3/4" strapping tade

3M Automotive adhesive removal spray. Thank me later. If you’re still having issues, try a drill mounted adhesive eraser (keep it slow, 2000ish RPM. But spray and wipe off with a dry, clean shop cloth should get it done.

https://imgur.com/gallery/WcCJ5Y3