Thread: Looking for ideas on making some trim

Looking for ideas on making some trim

I'm looking for suggestions on how to make this trim. I need to make about 6 feet of this - not all one long piece. Will make it from Maple, and it's for dividers in a box. I have a router bit that could make the shape, one side at a time, but I'm nervous at cutting out so much material on a small piece of wood. The curve shown doesn't need to be exactly that pattern, but I'm wanting to avoid just making it a triangle on the saw, wanting something with a bit more style.

Any other ideas?
    Thanks

trim.jpg

Could you make it on a wide board, cut off the pattern and glue back together with a piece for front and back?

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Herzog View Post
    Could you make it on a wide board, cut off the pattern and glue back together with a piece for front and back?
    If I follow you, you're suggesting I make the trim in two halves by starting with a wide board, routing one of these curves in it and then cutting it off. Make a whole bunch of those, then flip half of them over and glue them together with the seam along this red line?

That does sound a lot more doable than cutting both sides into one board.

trim2.jpg

Mill your profile into an over sized piece, then rip off the profile.Attachment 456115
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ah, that's another good idea, thanks!

Plus 1 on Johnny's way.

In addition, with a router, small bites, and multiple passes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    In addition, with a router, small bites, and multiple passes.
    And when you cut off the piece of trim, make the trim the OFFCUT, not pinched between blade and fence!

I'd probably use Johnny's approach, but also use the project as the "reason" (excuse) to finally pick up a horizontal router table to cut the profile.
    earl

Quote Originally Posted by Earl McLain View Post
    I'd probably use Johnny's approach, but also use the project as the "reason" (excuse) to finally pick up a horizontal router table to cut the profile.
    earl
    You're right there, that's the only remaining debate in my mind, as the router bit in my "regular" vertical table makes running the board through on edge the most obvious way. I'm going to check the bit profile though, it may be that I can run the board on its face, and gradually push it in closer to the fence to accomplish the same thing.

Run it like Johnny shows using a round nose router bit.
    Last edited by George Bokros; 04-17-2021 at 7:25 PM.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

For something other than a straight with radius, you could try a panel raising cutter with the piece laying down. Or cove it on the tablesaw.

Start with 3/4" stock and you can plane a bit off the edges after cutting it off the board. This way you can clean up any edge damage.