I've been wanting a mini-split in the shop for years but had put it off due to lack of knowledge. With the heat of summer coming soon, I decided now was the time. Had to learn some new skills. How to flare copper, vacuum refrigerant lines and play with manifold gauges. I'm now a happy and comfortable boy. Even with buying the vacuum pump, flare tool and basic gauge, everything came in less than $1000 total.

I bought the Pioneer 12K mini-split, vacuum gauge and lineset cover from Highseer because they have good online support. With shipping it was $840. The vacuum pump and flare tool I got off Amazon. Together about $100. The service disconnect and 6ft power whip came from Home Depot for less than $30.

My shop is around 400 sq ft or so. It is so well insulated I think I would have been fine with the 9K unit but went with the 12K just to be sure it would handle the few over 100 degree days we have.

I learned how to install it by watching several YouTube videos and taking lots of notes. For an even simpler install you can buy a Mr. Cool. They cost a few hundred more for the same size unit but the install would be easier. The lineset with the Mr Cool units comes pre-charged with refrigerant vs the compressor of the Pioneer unit, so you can't cut the premade lineset but since the line is fixed and per-charged, you don't have to pull a vacuum.