Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Person Looking for Woodworker to build Tack Box

Person Looking for Woodworker to build Tack Box

I was contacted by a woman who wants a woodworker to build a tack box for her. Through the "miracle" of the Internet, I came up as being close to her (I'm not).

She's in Edmore, MI, which is about 20 miles east of Alma (so she tells me). If you're close enough to take on a job of that type and deliver, PM me and I'll put you together with her.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Boy, that sounds like it has Jim Becker written all over it . . . except for the Penn - Mich commute . . .

Yea, sadly, that's a bit out of my market because big and heavy is costly to ship, even for someone willing to drop $800-1500 on a high-end tack trunk. Hopefully, she'll be able to find someone closer. But even if she was around the corner, I'm now officially "shut down" for awhile, preparing for our move.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Yea, sadly, that's a bit out of my market because big and heavy is costly to ship, even for someone willing to drop $800-1500 on a high-end tack trunk. Hopefully, she'll be able to find someone closer. But even if she was around the corner, I'm now officially "shut down" for awhile, preparing for our move.
    Yeah, that's why I had to turn her down. I told her that if she was taking a trip to CA I'd do the job and she could pick it up. But shipping something that large would almost double the cost.

Mike

[Added note: She said she had plans that she wanted it built to, so you wouldn't have to go back and forth deciding on the design.]
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I know two guys in Michigan cable of tackling this. One is a former Creeker and the other moved from southern Idaho. I will contact them and respond later to this thread.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post

[Added note: She said she had plans that she wanted it built to, so you wouldn't have to go back and forth deciding on the design.]
    That right there might keep me from taking such a commission...I'll build the size features desired, but I have my physical/construction methodology that I don't deviate from and have honed for nearly ten years. Most of the available "plans" out there for tack trunks are, um...well...I can't use that language here.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McCarthy View Post
    Boy, that sounds like it has Jim Becker written all over it . . . except for the Penn - Mich commute . . .

It's amazing what can be shipped by bus, and how cheaply, as compared to other methods. Don't forget Fastenal also does shipping, store to store only. No home delivery, or pick up.

Ken gave me a pointer to someone close to her and I passed that contact info to her. It's up to the two of them now.

Thanks, everyone, for your comments and help.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    That right there might keep me from taking such a commission...I'll build the size features desired, but I have my physical/construction methodology that I don't deviate from and have honed for nearly ten years. Most of the available "plans" out there for tack trunks are, um...well...I can't use that language here.
    Is "junky, stapled pressboard, low quality ply, with a low quality finish" a bad word?
    I saw one many years ago for sale that was in excess of $500.00. What a piece of junk it was. They must have been very proud of their "staple gun joinery".
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I had to look up what a tack box is. I guess they are trunks used to store horsey stuff.
    They remind me of something Chris Schwarz would have built when Popular Woodworking was worth reading.

Mark

They can get pretty "exotic", depending on what a person is willing to spend.
    I've seen them from a simple plywood box, to a full front wardrobe on wheels. Complete with mirrors and makeup lights.
    Jim has a nice design that he came up with years ago. Very functional.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Yea, there are some folks who build these with pretty shabby materials and techniques. The worst part is that folks actually buy them, paying big bucks and think they got a deal. They can get a better, albeit boring, product from the Dover Saddlery website or store for what some people are paying for home center construction grade materials and home center finishing. Even my most basic offer to clients has the same level of physical quality as the highest end pieces do. The difference is largely in features, simpler hardware and less expensive species on the sheet goods and solid stock. But it's the same for furniture, cabinetry and other things.
    --

Do you ever just scan a title and then realize that your dyslexia changed a word? I read "tack" as "tackle". I kind of wanted to see just what ideas people had. A tack box would be an interesting project too. In my limited time looking I have found that hardware is either very cheap looking or is very expensive (if you can find it). That being said tack boxes tend to be less ornate than something like a steamer trunk (not that a steamer truck wouldn't make a nice tack box).

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    I read "tack" as "tackle". I kind of wanted to see just what ideas people had.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    Do you ever just scan a title and then realize that your dyslexia changed a word? I read "tack" as "tackle". I kind of wanted to see just what ideas people had. A tack box would be an interesting project too. In my limited time looking I have found that hardware is either very cheap looking or is very expensive (if you can find it). That being said tack boxes tend to be less ornate than something like a steamer trunk (not that a steamer truck wouldn't make a nice tack box).
    One of my "signature" things is that I now use road case type handles, even on the most basic tack trunks. They cost maybe $15 (I forget what my supplier charges but it's about that) but are substantially stronger and easier to use. I also use double locking casters for folks who request casters. I agree that's there's a dearth of good "mid-range" hardware choices for projects like this. We don't live in a "trunk" oriented society these days, equestrian or not.

-----

BTW, your eyes must be doing the same dance mine are these days...I have to look twice sometimes to be sure I'm not misreading a word. LOL But my excuse is macular hole surgery and a recent cataract surgery in the same eye. I'm a little, um....unbalanced...right now. (Professor Dr. SWMBO agrees... )
    --