Thread: Minimax FS30c question

Minimax FS30c question

I just took delivery of a new minimax fs30 jointer/planer this week. I am working on removing the packing grease and getting it set up. My machine has the tersa head. I am attempting to rotate the head so that I can remove the grease and also to install the knives, however the head will not rotate. Is there cutterhead lock that I am failing to disengage. I have tried to rotate the head with the tables up and with the tables down with no success. The machine is not connected to power yet. I wonder if the cutterhead just has too much grease to spin. I can rotate the head maybe 10-15 degrees and then it goes back to its original spot, like there is some sort of brake or catch that needs to be disengage. I have not looked inside at the belts yet.

any guidance would be appreciated.

thanks,
    Ian

I answered in your other post but in case you missed it; mine was stiff too but turned. I’m don’t recall any locks. It’s probably just a stiff drive belt that’s resisting. It’s easier to turn now that my machine I has been used a while.

Mine (FS30c tersa) did not have a locking mechanism but was hard to turn and clean. I have had mine a couple years and it is still a bit stiff to rotate when I change the blades, but not nearly as bad.

Ian, that is normal (I have set up a million FS30's). It's the magnets in the motor, not the drive belts. Do this:

-Fold a shop towel several times over and place over cutterhead. Using the heel of your hand, rotate cutterhead so Tersa knife aligns with access hole. It will probably be "under tension" when aligned correctly.
    -Using a flathead screwdriver, slide the Tersa knife out of the cutterhead. It will be gooey at first and not want to slide easily. DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT TO SLIDE THE KNIFE OUT USING YOUR FINGERS. Even with gloves, you can cut yourself very badly.
    -Once all the knives are out, clean each one thoroughly with mineral spirits, DNA, etc. Using a cup and small paintbrush, paint the Tersa channels thoroughly with mineral spirits and then walk away for a while. Once it's had time to soak in, clean as thoroughly as possible. You want to be able to feel each of the captive give bars move up and down, freely. Once you're there, clean and dry each channel and re-install each knife in reverse order. Use the butt of the screwdriver handle to slide the knife back. Again, DO NOT use your fingers. Hope this helps,

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Thanks everybody for the input. I didn’t want to try and rotate the cutterhead too much out of fear that there was something obstructing it’s movement. But is sounds like it is normal to have some resistance. I’ll proceed with cleaning it as best as possible.