Thread: Slim Pickin's on Recent Rust Hunts

Blog Entries

Slim Pickin's on Recent Rust Hunts

This is all that has been found in the last month of hunting:

Rust Hunt Saw, Chisel, Bit & Drawknife.jpg

The draw knife was found about a month ago on a trip to the coast. It has a P.S.&W. mark with a 9" blade.

The saw was found in St. Helens, OR while going toward Portland last week. The medallion is marked with Warranted Superior. The etch on the blade appears to be Lakeside. A nice toolbox saw with good teeth, $10 didn't seem like too bad a price.

The bit and chisel were found today on my way home on a trip into town. The bit is an 18" long 9/16" Irwin with the plastic covering still on the tip. Not bad for $2. The 3/8" chisel is marked Stanley No. 720, for $3 it got a ride home.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim,

Ya done good! Super prices, especially the chisel and bit. What point is the saw?

Stew

Saw's handle makes it appear to be a Disston D-23......?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    Jim,

Ya done good! Super prices, especially the chisel and bit. What point is the saw?

Stew
    Hi Stew, Good prices are hard to pass on. My accumulation of 18" bits is starting to grow.

The saw is marked with a 10 under the handle and checks out to be at 10 ppi.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Jim,

For a panel saw like that one, I think a 10 point is a good tooth count to have. I think you are right about such being a good toolbox saw. I have one panel saw, and will probably get another one or two eventually, for that exact purpose, however I have too many irons in the fire right now to try to chase such down.

Stew

Blog Entries
    however I have too many irons in the fire right now to try to chase such down.
    Years ago it was common for me to venture out for the sole purpose of hunting rust. Now my rust hunting is done while out and about on other chores. Head to Costco near the coast, stop off at a few shops in Astoria, OR. Go to west Portland we stop at shops in Scappoose & St. Helens, OR. Shopping in Longview, WA there are a couple of shops. Going to east Portland we stop at a shop in Kalama, WA. It always strikes me that Kalama would be a great place for a Tee Shirt shop… Kalama Tees. (Some of the Twilight series was filmed there)

There is some great hunting on longer trips.

jtk

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    My accumulation of 18" bits is starting to grow.

The saw is marked with a 10 under the handle and checks out to be at 10 ppi.

jtk
    Jim,

After watching a neat trick by Curtis Buchanan on YouTube, I picked up a Yankee 2150 extension for auger bits. I don’t use it often, but it’s come in handy on a few occasions. I have complete sets of Jennings and Irwin augur bits and didn’t want to start accumulating longer bits, so the Yankee extension was the perfect solution.

I have a Simonds No 62 panel saw in 10 ppi. It’s one of my favorite saws.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Rosenthal View Post
    Jim,

After watching a neat trick by Curtis Buchanan on YouTube, I picked up a Yankee 2150 extension for auger bits. I don’t use it often, but it’s come in handy on a few occasions. I have complete sets of Jennings and Irwin augur bits and didn’t want to start accumulating longer bits, so the Yankee extension was the perfect solution.

I have a Simonds No 62 panel saw in 10 ppi. It’s one of my favorite saws.
    My extension for auger bits also comes in handy. Often used with another extension that holds hex bits for the occasional tightening of screws on my front and back decks/porches.

It spares me a lot of back pain.

jtk

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    This is all that has been found in the last month of hunting:

The draw knife was found about a month ago on a trip to the coast. It has a P.S.&W. mark with a 9" blade. ....

Jim, no one has mentioned this, but for me the star of your find is the draw knife. The sizes 8" and 9" are less common and highly desirable for chair makers (more common to find 10-12"). I have a P.S.&W and a Witherby in 8", and love them both.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Good haul Jim.....And good value.
    Jerry