Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving a 1600lbs machine?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Moving a 1600lbs machine?

So, I am trying to wrap up my machine purchases and the Hammer c3-41 is quite high on the list, but getting it to my home is turning out to be quite the hassle.

Hammer can't deliver it to my home if I don't have a forklift, and if I pick it up with a trailer, I'm at a loss for how to move it from the trailer and into my shop.

I don't have any specialized tools for lifting and I've never done a move like this before, so I'd rather ask and get advice than reinvent the wheel here.

Thoughts, tips, tricks?

We will need more details. If you are in a garage you can hire someone with a rollback truck to pick it up from the depot (or wherever they deliver it) and put it right into your shop, but if you're in a basement and need to move it down stairs that's a whole other level of dread and existential angst. When we had a new boiler delivered that weighed about that much the delivery truck had a liftgate and they set the boiler on the woodshed floor (concrete slab) with a pallet jack. Then I jacked it up and used steel pipe rollers and a pinch bar to roll it into the adjacent boiler room and into position.

You might look into hiring tilt back wrecker. Obviously I type too slowly
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

As has already been stated supply with all the details you can. What obstacles might hinder things, terrain, where it's going, property access and anything else that could possibly factor in.

Hire someone with a forklift to unload it. (The easy way.)
    Get it delivered in a truck with a lift gate. ( stressful and harder work. more chance for trouble) Some liftgates are in bad shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hennebury View Post
    Hire someone with a forklift to unload it. (The easy way.)
    Get it delivered in a truck with a lift gate. ( stressful and harder work. more chance for trouble) Some liftgates are in bad shape.
    The liftgate might be dicey for a machine that size. Standard size lift gates don’t give you enough room to turn and maneuver safely. The oversize ones can work, but little guarantee you will get one of those. Forklift is much better option as Mark mentions.
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

Hammer/felder has made it clear that they will not deliver it via liftgate, it won't fit safely.
    ips
    My shop is a detached two car garage in the back yard. Probably about 100' of cedar chips to drive across to get to the garage doors. 82" high by 105" wide door openings.

Forklift rental is ideal in my mind, but it would need to make it over the hump from road onto driveway, then down the driveway until it gets to the cedar chips, then across the cedar chips without issue. I've never seen/used a forklift that goes across flat, but mildly unstable surfaces, so I'm not sure if they are easy to come by?

I would look into a rollback tow truck, the one I have used locally here to pick up dead tractors for me back when I used to be in the parting out business also hauled sheds for the Amish and anything else. It was $75 for a haul of up to 15 miles or so, and he could put whatever he delivered right where you wanted it, smoothly and effortlessly. The wood chips would not be a problem providing the ground under them is strong enough to hold the truck without sinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachary Hoyt View Post
    I would look into a rollback tow truck, the one I have used locally here to pick up dead tractors for me back when I used to be in the parting out business also hauled sheds for the Amish and anything else. It was $75 for a haul of up to 15 miles or so, and he could put whatever he delivered right where you wanted it, smoothly and effortlessly. The wood chips would not be a problem providing the ground under them is strong enough to hold the truck without sinking.
    I wouldn't expect to sink, but could it get it into the garage with the low opening?

Hire someone with the skill and equipment
    Robinsons arrival1.jpgSAM_1888.jpg

+1 on the roll back. I've had 3000# sliders moved this way. Then I did the last few yards with sticks and a pallet jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Hall View Post
    I wouldn't expect to sink, but could it get it into the garage with the low opening?
    A roll back can tilt the bed down and fore and aft. When he has it tipped back, he can back up so the bed goes into your garage. Then use the winch to slowly slide it down the deck. Have pipe and some 2x6s sitting on the floor and he'll let it down right on the and it will roll further into the garage. He'll pick it up right at the local trucking company, right off the dock. I had them bring home a 3,000 pound lathe, cost me $100

Pallet jack and some cheap plywood. After the delivery driver placed my A3-41 onto my driveway I used a rented pallet jack to lift the pallet, laid some 3/8" plywood on the yard and pulled the box to the shop. Uncrated the machine and used the pallet jack to get it into the shop.
    You could also get some high school football players to assist if needed. Pizza payment usually works.

Talk with your (local) landscaper about receiving it at his place of business and then delivering it to you and setting it in place for you.
    They should be able to unload it and then use a skid steer with forks, load complete on a trailer and bring it to you. Unload, drive across yard and set in place.
    Should be comparable to renting a skid steer and trailer to move it
    Good luck
    Ron

You can rent forklifts of any size. A telescoping forklift would easily do it and are very easy to operate. They are large but that just gives you a better feeling that the machine it's too heavy. Rough terrain isn't a concern and with their large tires neither is soft ground. A skid steer could work but I don't know where the weight will be balanced so there's a potential to be too far in from of it. If you had a skid steer I would try it but if I was renting (I'm guessing you would have to have it delivered) why not rent a real forklift?