Thread: What kind of finish to use

What kind of finish to use

Hello all,

I want to make a couple of tower bars for my bathrooms. Something like this https://www.etsy.com/listing/2721204...towel-bar-wall

What would you recommend for the finish?
    The towels might be damp when sitting on the bar, thus I am not sure what would be best for such case.

Thank much
    Last edited by joe webb; 04-15-2021 at 10:19 PM.

Blog Entries
    I made two towel bars more than 15 years ago out of red oak. I used MinWax fast drying polyurethane as a finish. They have seen many damy towels and lots of steamy showers when the grandkids visit and are still doing just fine.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I made two towel bars more than 15 years ago out of red oak. I used MinWax fast drying polyurethane as a finish. They have seen many damy towels and lots of steamy showers when the grandkids visit and are still doing just fine.
    Thanks Lee. I am a big fan of MinWax. I have been using the water based poly for several projects and still have 1/2 gallon left.
    Does it matter oil based vs water based?

I would use an oil based varnish like Waterlox or arm r seal or even epiphanies. I like these a little more over minwax poly. Fwiw I have a shower bench finished in Waterlox. Still strong 5 years later.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by joe webb View Post
    Thanks Lee. I am a big fan of MinWax. I have been using the water based poly for several projects and still have 1/2 gallon left.
    I have no experience with water based poly in that application.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by joe webb View Post
    From the testing I have done, oil based poly is more durable against water damage than water borne. I would use oil based varnish.

John